Aquaclear Mini vs UG filter

Lepperfish

Hi -

I dont like UGF's. I dont think they work well (not because of filter design) but because of human lazyness.

Unless you like cleaning (and I know only a few folks who do) then go with a Aquaclear mini or a sponge filter or a corner filter. All work well and IMHO are less work than an UGF.

HTH -

I've had a AC mini on my std 2 footer for years, easy as pie & crystal clear. I use the two sponges method, no carbon

I dont mind the UG filter, I probably remove the plate from under the substrate every 6 months and give the tank a good clean out. The only reason why i was thinking of going with the aquaclear mini was to eliminate the 2 pipes in which the airstones go into on each side of the tank.

Can you take the pipes out in which the airstones run into out of the tank and place the airstones into the gravel instead of the pipes? The pipes are unsightly and thats why I wanted to change to the AC mini..

I have since ordered the AC mini from AOA anyway..

May just use both fiilters

The uplift pipes are there to direct the flow so that the water has to be sucked from under the plate. If you remove the tubes then it's basically just an airstone & probably won't draw water through the filter properly, if at all.

IMO if you are removing the uplift tubes you may as well remove the UG plate as well.

Being such a small tank the mini should be more than adequate itself anyway, but extra filtration isn't a bad thing

Archived