Above Ground Pond?

KrUsTy

hey guys,

coming up to school holidays and im considering making a 1000L above ground pond. just wondering if anyone had made one of these and if they have any advise. frame will be made of wood, and lined with plastic.

also what would do a better job, a OTTO PF-450G 1800lph @ $195 or 2 Aqua Pro CF-1500 1500lph @ $109 each (so $218). never used an otto, looks quite pro though, to filter the pond

thanks

Justin

an open container with media above the water line that is wet evenly across surface from the top of the media.water trickles over the semi-wet media which enable living bacteria utilize the oxygenation effect.it contains a pump and hose for water return to the tank and has a pipe fitting and pipe which water spills to get to the media.its similar to a cannister except its open with water trickle on dry media and requires drilling the tank for pvc hole fitment rather than hose siphon.try 'search' feature icon (up top of this page in the middle) and type it in you will find further info i guess.or type sump.

yes ive got an above ground pond, i built mine using treated pine sleepers and an epdm liner, its approx 4,000 lts if i was going to build again id probably use stone instead of the treated pine (the stone looks better) dont use a mini reef itll block up in 24 hours, build or buy a pond filter,above ground is the way to go as you dont get runoff going into the pond ,making the water muddy good luck

RD dude: can you clarify what a home made pond filter would be like? Any pics/diagrams?

I'm keen on building something similar sized in a corner of the back yard, though with a waterfall & hide the filter behind it. Like above ground bricks 2' high & seal the concrete base/bricks with a pond sealing paint. Sound any good?

right here goes hopeflly you can follow this. first you get one of those big blue plastic barrels and cut off the top drill it full of 5mm holes and one bigger hole to suit a piece of pvc pipe about 2cm shorter than the barrel(cut one end at 45 degrees) put a milk crate in the barrel followed by the lid with the concave side facing up,push the pvc pipe through the bigger hole(45deg end downward) then pile the media of your choice to a depth of about 60 cm on top of the lid. move the barrel into position next to the pond and cut a hole just below the neck and silicone a pice of pvc pipe in pointing slightly downward(this is the return.) using a pump in the pond put the outlet hose down the pvc pipe , the water travels down the pipe to the bottom of the barrel then up through the media(i use coarse gravel) and when the barrel is full the water runs out the return pipe and splashes nicely in the pond.a few things ive found are , put a piece of shadecloth or similar under the media this stops any gravel from falling into the lower chamber, put a tap in the bottom of the barrel so you can drain off accumulated slime and you can double this filters efficiency by growing water hyacinth in the top finally paint the thing with fence paint the blue doesnt look attractive in the garden. any questions? no, good thumb.gif

yep thats right but remember theres a milk crate holding the lid up, ive had one of these running my pond for 4 years , about oce a year i empty the water out and run the garden hose through the gravel. a couple of years back the ph went a bit low(6.8) so i chucked a bag of shell grit inand the ph went to 7.2 after a week, thats the big advantage of this design, the ones you buy only have sponge in them, although i think you can get gravel ones,also shop around for the drum i paid $8 for mine ithink the whole thing cost under $20 . i envy your location, you could have a huge frontosa colony happening, just stupid koi down here, although i dont mind them that much, when they see me they stick their heads out the water -hmm imagine fronties doing that!! smile.gif

Archived