Most publicised fry on ACE

Lepperfish

Sorry Lepperfish, those first 3 photos were just too big, even for my new wide screen laptop.

They are great shots, can you crop them a little and reduce their size and then post them back up please.

Cheers coolpics.gif

Did you actually watch them spawn? There are a few other zebs in that tank which might have contributed?

I'm not saying your fry are hybrids as I've never bred cobalts, but if others are positive young cobalts don't show any striping, I'd be a little worried....

Ive got a male greshakei- male saulosi - male cobalts -

I didnt see them spawn so if they are hybrids they would likely have been crossed with the greshakei..

In that case I would be on the side of caution. Yes could be the greshakei or the saulosi. See the barring on the forehead??

I used to breed them and from memory the fry didn't have any barring. Not even my subdominant male show any type of barring when the dominant one harrass it in my display tank.

Good luck with your search. And I'm glad that you are open to comments.. thumb.gif

Cheers

Yeah of course im open to comments champ, Im not claiming to be an expert at this or anything.. I think if they are crossed they would be with the grehakei.

Im still goiing to grow up these 3 fry for the experience as these are my 1st..

just had a look at my young cobalts, not one has any barring from 1cm up to 5cm. not anywhere, just a nice pale blue colour. I think you will have some fantastic display fish from these 3 fry, but not ones you should ever look to sell. there is a very good chance they may be hybrids. for future spawn, well keep in mind that if you are getting hybrids and you grow em up, you also have to think what you will do with them long term. letting them get eaten as small fry is much less painful than having to see them fed off as adults, at least in my experience.

great to see you are open to comments though, its the best way to learn smile.gif.

Yep thanks for the comments guys..

I will keep the pics coming of the fry.

When they get a bit bigger im going to release them back into the tank they came from.

Id never ever sell or distribute a fish that came from a mixed tank,

because if your not 100% sure there hybrids or not..

Im currently setting up a 4 foot species only tank, so now which ones? - mbuna of course!

Depends on what colours you like. There are some really really nice mbuna out there. Id suggest having a look at a website. Four ft is an excellent size for a mbuna (well for pseudos anyways) tank. If you set it up well, you will find that you will have around two dominant males breeding with females simultaneously at each end of the tank and have lots of rocks etc (I use dead coral for buffering and hiding places) in the middle for the females and sub dom males to find refuge. I have a concrete cave with a flat surface on top at one end (which works a treat for spawning) and another big flat rock at the other end for the other dominant male.

My fish have just started to spawn recently and i'm getting at least 2 mouthfuls a week.

Archived