1st RD spawn

Ash

my devils are guarding about 100 eggs on one of the vertical rock faces that make up the sides of their cave! I had suspected the smaller one to be female for some time, and in the last month the larger obvious male has stopped chasing her away from his lair & started defending her from the convicts.

Crazily enough, the parent convicts in the same 4x2x2 have their spawning sight on the rocks above the RD cave, and they also have eggs right now. It's weird, both the pairs don't really hastle each other, but they all defend that 1/2 of the tank from all the previous convict babies (some as big as the convict mother now).

I can't believe they aren't killing each other, living on different sides of a piece of jade rock about 2" thick! I guess later in the week when (hopefully) two lots of wrigglers, then freeswimmers appear, the peaceful standoff might get ugly.

Anyone else had wierd spawnings like this, so close together? The two batches of eggs are litterally 6" away from each other, and with an 8" RD that's not much gap!

cheers & beers

Ash

the 6mm glass lids are on standby, but with the spawning sites so close together I'm worried about how to divide them. Hopefully the cons will move to the opposite end of the tank to make it easy for me.

sounds like world war 3 is about to begin tongue.gif

david vs goliath woot.gif

I will be interested to hear how they get on

how do the convicts go with your red devil?

I have just purchased a few red devils, one male and 2 females, he gives both of them a lot of curry and now the new female is giving the other female a hard time.. i'm hoping he'll pair up with one of them and leave her alone but i dont like my chances.

I have some convicts in another tank and the biggest male chases off everything in the tank, green terrors, jack dempsey and a red salvini so I was thinking possibly throw a team of convicts in and see if that will help sort him out?

people after my own heart a breath of fresh air talking about real fish, first of all ash , simple solution to your problem, dump the convicts and give the tank to the devils,if one convict trys to eat one rd fry itll be all over in a flash,as for you oscar terror, the male will probably pair with both of them, i had a breeding "trio" for a while , separate the 2 females with eggcrate then the male can spend some time with each of them,the fascinating thing about this arrangement is that the fry wont swim through to the female that isnt their mother! id pick the best female and when they pair donate the female(i gave mine to katanaone) good luck

Speaking of red devil spawns, my lonely female has solo spawned again for the 4th time now!!! I feel sorry for her, she does so much work to fan them and pick out the duds, but its all just a waste of her time. I really need to get a male but apparently there are none out there that anyone wants to part with!!!

Im interested in one if someone has one to part with.

Cheers, Alan.

oscar terror, the male will probably pair with both of them, i had a breeding "trio" for a while , separate the 2 females with eggcrate then the male can spend some time with each of them,the fascinating thing about this arrangement is that the fry wont swim through to the female that isnt their mother! id pick the best female and when they pair donate the female(i gave mine to katanaone) good luck

I was planning on getting rid of one of the females when it came time, how do you know when they have paired? I mean male devils are bastards so its hard to tell?

my female was late to change colour (still banded at 5") and I actually thought he was bashing her for a while but all it was is finally she's changing colour.

Behaviour wise, the male was quite narky to her for ages & suddenly stopped & let her in his cave, then the eggs appeared within a week.

RDman - the cons were only in there to provide feeders, but their numbers have spiralled out of control! (duh)

I can shift them into my std 4' probably easier than using a divider actually, but I was kinda hoping they would provide a good target for him so he doesn't kill the girl devil. Previously during the convict spawns the pair har backed down the male, and they are miniscule, the male is like 8cm & the female is like 5cm! so awesome watching them back down a 17-20cm fish, lol.

I'm not that worried about the convicts, as I was actually looking ot giving them away, but if they are good as targets then I'd rather keep them there & loose a few rather than loose the female devil. Any thoughts?

the only way i could tell is when they spawned, others reckon when they dont kill each other,and alan ive still got some fry you can have for nix,in 6 months time youll have yourpick of males,alternately im keeping some anyway so if some show up as males ill keep one for you, my missus works at the uts on broadway i think thatd be pretty near you. good luck with all your devils- the fish with class , character and charisma thumb.gif

Archived