not enough fish

bitrusty

hi guys ive got a 6x2x2 south american tankwith mini reef filter and a sponge filter my problem is that i cant seem to stock more than 6 or 7 fish at a time in it.I currently have 3 Bolivian Rams,1 Blue Ram,1 Krib and another unknown Dwarf.I change 30% of the water every 2 weeks,once a month i use carbon in the filter for a week ive had rams for months and as soon as i added 3 more i lost five ive lost 3 bn over a few months.it is a half planted tank river sand substrate and ph is around 6.5 all the time.please help i want more movement in this tank

Sounds like the cichlids are doing what cichlids do, claiming and defending territories. I would try to add some schooling fish for movement, and also it should make the cichlids less territorial if more fish to chase keep swarming around, they will give up.

I know the fish are small in stature, but they are just as territorial as their bigger brethren, and have big hearts thumb.gif

Killing BN and Bolivian rams was an impossibility for me until I saw this, sorry to hear you are having problems with them. I had had 10 bolivian rams in my 5x2x2. They were all fine until I moved them to other tanks.

Couple of questions:

Do you treat the water with a chloramine/chlorine binder before the change?

What temperature do you have the tank and the new water?

How much to you feed them?

How do you clean the filter element? It needs to be rinsed in tank water, not water from the tap. (Although a sand bottom tank can hold a lot of bacteria it's still best to rinse it in tank water).

(I could ask what's the nitrates,nitrites, amonia but after a few months and a planted tank they should be OK. never hurts to measure. Some people love to measure stuff).

In my experience the dwarf rams ram each other but I have not seen any die from it and I have crammed them up while in a smallish quarantine tank and seen them really fighting full time for a week or so. They do ram each other quite hard when they get to a good size.

p.s. the blue rams do tend to die in my experience. They are really about the only fish I have killed and had no understanding why they died. (For example dieing in a fully planted discus tank, discus fine, blue rams cark it).

(Please don't feel offended it I am asking the obvious huh.gif )

thanx guys i do everything by the booki use a good dechlorinator and i heat and airate the water for 24hours b4 a water change i sit and watch for hours on end(to my missus disgust)and there doesnt seem to be any bullying unless its lights out there is plenty of bogwood,plants and caves to hide in if they are.would there be enough bactiria in the filter at a low ph?should i go to a cannister?i was the filter floss in tank water and only fluss 1/4 of the bio balls every month thanx guys

What I am bewildered about is the death of the BN's.

Have you seen any behavioural changes in them before death? Have you actually witnessed a death of the BN's in the tank?

The raeson I ask is that from my experience they are pretty bullet proof and, short of white-spot and Bacterial infection, very little seems to mess with them.

hi guys its got me too.as i said i have a blue ram in there and he is ok but as soon as i put more fish in thereusually the new fish die plus an extra few and i have a 3 inch clown loach in there.the water seems fine as i had 2 severums in there b4 and they had a couple of batches of fry so i moved them into their own tank out the back,could it be not enough bacteria from low ph?who knows?thanx guys

i had 3 bn in there for about 32 years at about 5 cms fed them good looked healthy until one day i found 2 on the bottom i never used to see them much except at night so i bought 2 more fm to go with the male i had left and all 3 died with in a week am i a cursed fish nut maybe i should go to plastic fish?

hmmm...do you quarentine the fish B4 you add them to the tank??

It occurs to me that you will be forever chasing the cause if you do not limit the factors to think about.

It may be that there is not enough good-bacteria because you are cleaning the filters too often for such a small bio-load...but the PH you have should not effect the numbers of healthy Good-bacteria(if anything the lower PH should work in your favour).

Archived