Updating Breeders Registry

BlakeyBoyR

Lately I've been PM'ing people about fish they said they keep in the breeders registry and getting a lot of replies stating "I no longer keep XXXXXXXX". Now, I know many of you change the fish you breed like you change your underwear. But it really doesnt require that much effort to go in and edit your post so it actually does reflect what you are breeding and have for sale. Dont get me wrong, most of the people who replied to tell me they dont keep have the fish I want were very nice about it, and often apologetic. However once it got to the 5th or so time the novelty had worn off.

The search function is pretty much useless when it points me to people who no longer breed the fish the registry says they do, meaning I have to keep putting up WTB ads in the classifieds. I dont mean this to sound like I am having a go at anyone, however it has become a pet peeve of mine and I felt the need to rant and rave and say my piece.

Now it has been said, I hope you all have a good weekend thumb.gif

I deleted my entry in the Breeders Register after a very short time B'coz I had people PM'ing me outta the blue asking to buy this and that...it gave me the "poo poo's". After all if I was selling, or had fish to sell, I would put them on the board in the Classified section...it felt like having the Salvo's knock on the door and ask for clothing to put in the their Bins. rolleyes.gif

If you dont want people msging you about fish then why put an entry in the registry letting everyone know you have them? Also, I'd hardly equate people wanting to purchase fish that you profess to be breeding (assumedly for sale), to charity. These people have contacted you in the hope that you are selling the fish you say you are breeding. If not that is fine, tell them so. But saying that theyre comparable to door-knockers and that they gave you the

"poo poo's"
seems a little unfair.

Obviously you have the right sell, or conversely not sell fish. You're entitled to keep or get rid of whatever you choose. However, if you wish to let it be known you're breeding X species but by the same token do not want people contacting you about said species, perhaps it would be wiser to put a footnote in the registry saying you'd prefer not to be contacted about sales, instead any fry you wish to move will be advertised in the classfieds with a "FS" thread.

Australian Fish/Cichlid Breeders Register

This is a breeders register for Australian breeders of cichlid/fish species. The Australian Breeders register is able to be viewed by all members but is only available to members of the group “Cichlid” for posting. It is designed to be an up-to-date list of which species are being bred and by whom. If the species you are breeding changes you should update your listing. Please add your listing now!

Good point Blakey.

The main idea here is to allow members to have their fish available for others to find and approach members to buy their fish.

Remember that businesses can't advertise unless they are sponsors. The main reason for this forum is to allow shops and members to find what they are after, This is designed to benefit the members. It's not there so that you can show off wink.giflaugh.gif

Please keep your list up to date.

Yea I have often had PM's regarding fish which quite clearly say I dont have fry. It does get very frustrating. Especially when you do have fry at size and the same people say they are no longer interested... laugh.gif But I agree its easy enough to keep it up to date. I guess with the addition of more and more species the chance of PM's becoming a nuisence grows exponentially. I'm glad my list isn't so long LOL.gif

Thats the thing mate, not everyone says what they are and arent breeding on their entry in the registry. They just say "I am breeding the following fish: xxx".

Many of you have little codes like "B" means breeding but no fry, "S" means you have fry for sale, "G" means growing up to breed, and so on and so forth. A system like that is good IMO, it lets people know what is going on. However, that system is only useful if it is updated. If you see the entry hasn't been updated since April obviously you could expect things have changed somewhat. If people choose to keep an entry but refuse to update it, I dont think they have the right to sook if they get a bunch of PM's. If you're getting 5 PM's a day about fish you no longer keep then maybe the simplest solution would be to simply update!

Note that when I say "You" in this post I am not referring to anyone in particular.

The way I see it is that its a list of what you are breeding, not what you are selling.

I dont want why post deleted because I havent updated it. I am still breeding the same fish i was 6 months ago and have need to update it. When i have fry available I advertise them through the aquarium related classified.

The way I see it is that its a list of what you are breeding, not what you are selling

When i have fry available I advertise them through the aquarium related classified

....exactly!!

merjo smile.gif

so is the breeders register just a wee wEEing competition then? I don't see why you bother listing what you are breeding in there if you aren't selling them blink.gif

Is it just some weird status symbol? What is it's purpose?

But youre missing the point. Would it hurt to either put a note on the entry saying that when you do have fry available they will be advertised in the classifieds, or alternatively, use the coding system to let people know when you do have fry?

Ultimately would it be that much of a pain for people to, once a month, go in and edit the entry so that people know it is up to date. Even if they just wrote at the bottom, "current as of XX/XX/XX". Then not only would they not get as many PM's about fish they arent selling, but the people who are PM'ing them would know to look elsewhere and not bother messaging them in the first place with their question.

The point of the breeders registry was already outlined by cichlids_au, I do not see where the dispute lies. If you don't want people asking you about the fish you're breeding, why declare you're breeding them in the first place? Seems a little odd to me.

wasn't there some posts from the admins/mods recently regarding the overflow of F/S posts in the "aquarium related classifieds" area, and that that's what the breeders register is for? dry.gif

I can see what most people are saying here, but I thought (maybe wrongly unsure.gif ) that the idea of the registry was primarily to identify what species are actually available in the country. The guidelines indcate that it be kept up to date as far as what fish you have breeding, not what fry you have for sale...

merjo smile.gif

Gotta agree with Merjo on this one...I didn't think it was a weeing competition(which I would clearly win woot.gif ) but thought I was helping expand the knowledge we have about what fish are here and breeding. It was not my intention to be approached about selling fish that I listed...which is why I asked for my entry to be deleted, in very-fast time, after being approached about it.

Not approached in a; "Hi, my name is "X" and I have been a member for yadda, yadda, yadda"

...but more a; "When will you have fry for sale?" manner.

BBR, you may not see it as the same as Door-knockers but I did...after all I did not hang a sign out the front of the house saying "Door-knockers welcome", just as I didn't have a sign saying "PM me outta the blue" on my enrty in the Registry.

But youre missing the point. Would it hurt to either put a note on the entry saying that when you do have fry available they will be advertised in the classifieds, or alternatively, use the coding system to let people know when you do have fry?

People could just use their signature like Fins to let people whats going on with their breeding stocks..

When the members asked for that forum on the old Ezy board and then again for it to be reintroduced on this one, I thought it was to allow them to have people approach them.

I also thought that this would benefit members because non-sponsor businesses could use it to obtain cichlids and that in turn would benefit the members. (Remember I have a strong membership orientation, not a shop one)

Regardless, even if I perceived it wrongly, the members will dictate what happens to that forum.

Archived