AC500 media setup

pride

If I was to filter a tank using two AC500's ( currently using an AC500 and an AC300 ) how would you suggest would be the most efficient way to setup the media? I am currently using 1 sponge in each on the bottom of the basket then a layer of filter floss on top of the sponge and then media bags full of matrix rocks and ceramic noodles on top. I am looking for the most efficient way for both mechanical and biological. As is, the water quality is fine but I was wondering if I should or can have it setup alittle better?

cheers

I set mine up the in a very similar way, only i put the matrix on the bottom, and not in any bag. I find you get much better flow over it this way. It doesn't tend to clog up much as i find bags tend to do, and is dead easy to clean right were it is. Definately still use the cage thingy though !!

Not saying it's any better, just the way i like to do it.

when I use two in a tank, one is purely mechanical and has both sponges, and they will be frequently washed. for the other I put some sort of bio material in, it just varies from tank to tank but something with a high surface area will do the job well. that one will only get infrequent cleans, and will also have a prefilter on the inlet to keep the gunk out. usually I use a piece of fly wire or shade cloth as the prefilter.

I use two HOB filters. One of them is dedicated mechanical filtration, packed with filter sponge. The other provides a little mechanical along with biological and chemical; it is filled with layers of carbon, filter wool and ceramic noodles. I boost the flow on the sponge-only filter so that it sucks up most of the floating junk whilst the other has a lower flow to ensure the water flows over the media better thumb.gif

Archived