Success! Jag Babies.....now what?

vieja

hey people, my jags (after a trial run of unfertilized eggs) have had a batch (a very large batch) of healthy little fry. thumb.gif

the fry are free swimming, so i suctioned them off into another tank (away from my community of hungry cichlids - my devil was most dissapointed with me). what are my best options now?? leave mother and father with fry (as they now are), remove father, remove mother?? do fry need a lot of aeration in their water?? are there special water quality requirements..............please help!! ohmy.gif

i'm so proud.... i've had a few batches of fuellborni, kenyi and vieja but my jags have managed to well exceed those entire batches with their first attempt.... amazing!! clap.gif

if possible try to remove any other inhabitants such as the devils etc. and leave the parents with the fry. keep an eye on them, if they start to eat the fry remove the fry.

other than that just enjoy and try to take some photos for us. thumb.gif

try and leave the parents with the fry- this is part of the pleasure of big americans and this will imprint on them , after about 5 days the fry will need to be fed, i feed 3 times a day start them on frystarter or similar liquid food, then when their big enough(about 7-10 days) crushed up flake and frozen brine shrimp,thaw the frozen food first, i found out the hard way that frozen food kills fry,then later on bloodworm etc. next the hard bit, find out what the markets like at your lfs you may have to recycle a few back to old red,anyway well done this sucess is a reflection on your fishkeeping skills clap.gif

try and leave the parents with the fry- this is part of the pleasure of big americans and this will imprint on them

what do you mean by imprint??

how big a tank do i need to have this thriving mass of fry in??? my parents are both about 8inch

"you may have to recycle a few back to old red" - who is old red??? forgive my ignorance. blush.gif

what is the best way to get rid of so many fry (will one fish shop take them all?)

appreciate the advice... just what i was looking for - a south american lover thumb.gif

hi veija first off congratulations jags are my favourite fish of all time good to see someone keeping them in the hobby.a few years ago they were hard to come by.ive bred jags a fair few times and ive always left them in with the parents.ive found if you take them all off them then the male just decides to have some more but the female have produced any eggs by this stage which usually ends in a frustrated male and an injured or dead female.i fed mine powdered flake(sera) once they became free swimming and as they grew moved up to crushed flake.the parents often take the pellets that your feeding them and crush them spewing it out thier gills so the babies can eat that ive noticed.if you have a spare tank in aweek or two pull some out and raise them seperately.now fry numbers theres two ways you can go about it depending on personal preference.whenever i breed my centrals i only raise about forty or fifty depending on the tank i have available.the reason i do this is because if you over crowd them you tend to find that as your males quickly outgrow the females they start to predate on them which gives you a batch of fry with a high male to female ratio.while this wont effect you when people go to buy them thier chances of getting a pair is greatly reduced.jags are a lot more common than they once were but like i said it was only a couple of years ago that they were a rare sight indeed.if you raise only a small amount you ensure that they will not be lost to the hobby like so many unfortunate others.most of your centrals dont fetch a high price in stores or privately anyway so your not going to lose out finacially in fact youll probably get a better price because the market isnt flooded with them.i usually sell mine for between 1.00 and 2.00 each.like i said the monetary rewards arent high but the satiafaction that your doing something to benefit the hobby is often rewarding enough.im climbing down now guys so once again congrats veija

how big a tank do i need to have this thriving mass of fry in??? my parents are both about 8inch

what have ya got? the fry themselves could be dumped into a spare 2' once they are over 1cm each, if you want them with the parents then prob a std 4 footer?

I gather you've never bred jags Ash ?? Probably best not to give advice if that's tha case....... blink.gif

For starters a pair of jags shouldn't be housed in a standard 4fter.....especially with kids. It's too small for the pair to begin with, then add anywhere form 1-5 thousand kids............ LOL.gif

If the parents don't rip each other to bits, i can just about garrentee they will eat 99% of the fry. That size tank simply isn't big enough for a pair let alone with their fry with them !! Thats simply cruel !!

Also, how long do you think his "thriving mass" of fry is gonna last in a 2fter ? Given the previously mentioned fact that jags can produce WELL OVER a thousand fry at once.........thats gonna make a pretty crammed 2fter. rolleyes.gif

Have a nice day Ash wink.gif

Ash, it was suggested, but not by you(hmm, who was it ?), or in your post, therefore people could be led to believe you intended him keep all the fry.......in that same 4ft tank.....with the parents blink.gif .....I was simply pointing out that this is far from a good idea.

As for "what would i do with them ?" Read my first post eek.gif I'd let the parents decide........in a suitable sized tank of course.

When did i mention any 8x2x2 ?? a 4x18(possibly but no recomended), 4x20, 4x2 or 6x18 is plenty big enough. At 8 inches a male jag is FAR from full grown, and if it's anything like mine will still grow at quite a substantial pace for up to another few inches. If you think it's fine to house a pair of jags in a standard 4fter go for it, but you really shouldn't be making that sorta recomendation to others, it will only end with them losing a fish. Maybe ask PGR about how nasty Jags get in confined spaces before you get too upset about me correcting some of your(IMO Bad) info ???

Don't take it personally.

as i said, "have a nice day Ash" wink.gif

I have to agree with subgirl. Although the one (healthy) thing you will have working against a rapid growth rate is that he is breeding now, and that takes alot of the growth hormones or whatever out of circulation. My Americans have always slowed down their growth once they begin spawning regularly.

I dont think they stop, but they definately slow down some. I read a somewhat scientific explanation of it once. I guess its the same principle in gardening where if you prune the other extremities a buch will thicken up in other areas and flower more. I suppose we all just have a finite amount of energy which we have to use depending on our circumstance.

Archived