Fish keeping

oracle

I have been on this forum for a while now and am curious as to why most people decide to keep fish. Is it because you enjoy keeping fish or is your main priority actually to make money out of this hobby?

I have only kept fish for about 2 years and in those time, I have given a number of fish away to family and friends. I have also sold fish in this forum but have never really tried to make money out of selling them.

I only have 3 tanks and they are jam-packed with fish. Most of the time, I don't even bother collecting fry from these tanks as I simply don't have the time or inclination of being a breeder. If these fry grow up to adulthood, good for them but it's rare for me to try to grow them up to sell them (except for a number of A.calvus fry I was growing up to swap - which have since passed away due to an unfortunate incident).

My question essentially goes to the people who keep tanks and tanks of fish in their homes. What is your motivation in keeping so many tanks and do you still get enjoyment out of it? Obviously money must be a major motivator in this case. I am just curious to know if there are any other compelling motivating factors out there eg. you might be a commercial breeder who make your living by selling fish to Aquariums etc.

hi,

I started out in this hobby because i saw the large variety of cichlids there were in the shop, i though about it then got my first fish,

i keep fish for the fun of it and at the same time makin money to py for food, equipment necessary for fish keeping, but i really enjoy just looking at them,

cheers

Well Oracle,

I came to this hobbie in the last year. It was completely by accident, my son was given a 4ftr with cabinet and most of the gear needed from a family friend that had no time anymore.

My son was going to create the Great Barrier Reef in a 4ftr laugh.gif lots of good ideas with no money, he was a first year apprentice. So the tank sat for a couple of months, I said I'll take it over but didn't want to do salt, so I looked for a less expensive alternative. wink.gif HA!

Nearly twelve months later, I have that 4ftr with Mbuna in my front room, have built a 6x2x2 display with Haps and peacocks in my living room and a 3ftr in the garage with fry everywhere. blink.gif

It grabbed me almost from the start, the complexities of getting it right, the problems that occur then sorting them out, and most importantly the fish, they are all great to look at and for me, provide a release from work and all the other crap that can happen around you.

In it for the money, ha, not likely, cost me money, sure, but everyone has vices, this is just mine at the moment, but I can't see myself giving it up in the near future it's too interesting.

glenn

and the amount of strange people you meet in this hobby

some are a little more strange than others wink.gif

I keep fish cos I enjoy them 1st and foremost. there are many other benefits as well. I have made great friends through sites like this, and through organisations like the NSWCS. there is the challenge of trying to keep a delicate fish, or to breed a challenging fish. there is also the thrill of seeing a spawn for the first time in a species you haven't yet bred. though I still get a great feeling every time my convicts breed, I just love that particular fish.

as for money, well in my time in fish I have yet to see anyone in fish driving around in a luxury car, buying a big house or retiring on what they have made. doubt I will see it in the future either. for me its a hobby and something you do for pleasure and enjoyment, not to make your fortune.

Because it's fun. Well the past 10 years or so were fun. I've found over the period of time... different aspects have been more enjoyable than others. Back when I use to keep koi, it was jut about relaxing and watching them grow, then I got into cichlids, breeding, found the forums etc and found that enjoyable. Now I've taken an interest into the photography side of things. and getting back into watching things grow... a high possibility a tankbuster setup very soon.

There's so many enjoyable and interesting parts of fishkeeping out there. Basically I just do what I enjoy.

Cheers

Paul

hey oracle

I had one tank in the lounge room with mollys, guppies and all the other common junk. When i discovered rift lake cichlids one tank wasnt enough, so i got 2 more and that still wasnt enough, so i got a fish room and 25 tanks. With hundreds of species in the 3 lakes i may still need to expand further, but not yet. My wife doesn't THINK i'm obsessed, she knows i'm obsessed. A tank full of cichlids is the only thing i know of that i can stare into for 4 hours non stop without going completely out of my mind. If i made any money out of it i'd only spend it on upgrades to tanks, equipment, or fish and at the moment all the money is going in one direction, and thats out.

Bob

I think the reason that i have become so addicted to this hobby, is beacuse its something that always requires your attention. You cant sorta drop it and then pick it up again in siz months time like furniture making for example. It really does require alot of your attention to become sucessful and breed fish.

The more attention you give it, the more you become obsessed with your fish. The more obessed you become, the better the fish keeper you are. The better the fish keeper you are the more fry you will produce. The more fry you produce, the more tanks you will eventually need.

It is a vicious cycle which has its ups and downs. You can come home one day and find an entire tank wiped out. Or if you have been looking after your fish well enough, you can pull out 44 fry from a single fish, like i did today *boast*.

There is never a dull moment in fishkeeping! And even when you are bored bored bored and you have spent enuf time on the forum, you can always go and watch ur fish

Whatever reasons I may have for keeping fish it isnt the money, I've never made a cent keeping fish, but I've sure lost a lot tongue.gif I find fish really relaxing. All the rushing around, cleaning and what not and I find its like therapy. It takes my mind off all the other serious things in my life that stress me out. Between Uni and Work, cichlids are something that manage to put a smile on my face. Sometimes its the basic things, like watching a fish display to another one, or simply cleaning ceramic noodles in a bucket of tank water, that give you the distance to sit back and realise that some things arent as hard to cope with after all thumb.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I keep fish coz they are cool and represent a little society that I can spy on - you have the aggressors, shy characters, the colourful posers, the sheep. All the personalities you want in your own living room! I started 10 months ago with a 1ftx1ftx1ft Boyu tank with three neons which was a gift. I now have a 6x2x2 Native tank, 4x2x2 Tropheus Ilangi tank, another tropheus nursery tank and a 4ft Malawai tank. Like the other respondents, yeah I'm obsessed but not afraid to admit it! As far as making money?? Its one way traffic from my wallet to the LFS's and local breeders. smile.gif

I started up keeping fish again about 2 years it all started with a house renovation. I had very intrusive room free standing room divider that I decide had to go. So then I had a great idea of getting a 4' fish tank and use it a room divider instead. So I knocked down the room divider but me being me did not think it through very well as I realised that it is very hard to get power to a tank in the middle of lounge room through a concrete slab. rolleyes.gif But I had already bought the fish tank and after checking out a friend (of my wife's) cichlid tank I decided that was the way I was going to go.

But due to my complusive obsessional persona and partially due to discovery of the old SCP forum, I now have 18 tanks (probably with more on the way) and a half constructed fish room (should be finished by Christmas). And my wife has no one to blame but herself for introducing me to a world of cichlids. LOL.gif

As for money well all I can say is "equity mate" rolleyes.gif

cheers

Rosco

G'day

I wish I could work out how to make this hobby pay for itself.

Firstly there is the $1000+ power bill that arrives far too often, then there is the 6 hours every week doing water changes. Then the food bill, the bill for those 'new' fish Aline or I just simply must have. And the bill for the renovations on the house for the new fishroom.

Oh yes and I can sell you an electric yellow (They are the best I can source and have no Black where it shouldn't be) for $5...... and yes I do have some bristlies as well they are only $3 each.... Yup I am making money. woot.gif

Nope it is not about the money! It is the challenge I think, well that and a serious disease and/or obsession unsure.gif .

The challenge to find/locate/purchase that rare or almost vanished fish, breed it and then make it available. Or maybe its just so that I can sit down and rest, well maybe it just makes me get up after a long shift and do something that I seem to like doing.

Then again it might be the assortment of characters, the fishy folk, that I get to meet.

Or it could be that it is just something that Aline (Chipimbi) and I enjoy doing together.

Hmmm dunno blink.gif . But they are interesting to watch. thumb.gif

CYA

For me it is the challenge. I guess I also like the feeling of being responsible for a number of lives - the sort that don't keep you waiting up late at night to see if they arrive home safely, but the ones who come to greet you when you walk in a room, eat whatever you give them and seem to make you appreciate the (not so) simple things in life.

15 hours a week on average just watching them and quite a few more caring for them - I am not obsessed woot.gif

For me its the relaxation of just coming home from work after a hard day and watch my tanks (only 2) and chill down with a glass of wine and cigaret. My interest started some 25 years back while still living Europe.

It makes me calm down, much better than TV, and you get to talk to some great people in this room who know what they are talking about and who can help you when you have problems or issues.

Luckily my present accomadation doesn't render room for much more tanks, but that will change in the not too distant future and THEN I will have much more tanks, which I cant wait for happening.

Not in it for the money, too hard I think, just the sheer pleasure.

But luckily we have VERY GOOD SERIOUS breeders out there who can help us.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Started off at the age of 10 yrs old with my first tank (2ft with a crack in it) after winning a gold fish at a fete (remember them? before Liability insurance shut most of 'em down!)

Now I'm 34 yrs old and have been keeping African Cichlids for the last 10 years.

With the multitude of Africans to select from, it never gets boring and I'm still as keen as ever.

For me it's always been the satisfaction of having an outstanding display in my living that I enjoy maintaining and watching this dynamic little world evolve day to day. And now I've taken my first steps of purposely breeding Africans which has opened up a whole new world for me.

This hobby is fantastic, even after 24 years.

thumb.gif

Archived