Melanotaenia boesemani

mezzacam

I've been looking at these fellows for awhile now and they've really grown on me.

From what i've read they are a schooling fish they likes open water and a planted tank, and they grow to around 12cm (Give or take, depending on sex also).

* Now my first question would be, Can i get this type of fish in Australia? (Melanotaenia boesemani specifically)

* Second, If so, Does anyone know how i can come across getting some?

* Third, They would most likely be going into a 3ft x 18 inch high tank. Tank mates would be 2 Algae Eaters, 3 Angels and an Alto Comp (Mr Hedgehog). I was wondering how many i could have in this tank?

* Fourthly, Depending on how many i could have in the tank, What would be the ideal Sex ratio to maximise Male colouration and breeding posibilities?

* Fifthly, If anyone has any ideas on any other important questions i may have missed, I'd love to hear.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. smile.gif

Cameron.

* Now my first question would be, Can i get this type of fish in Australia? (Melanotaenia boesemani specifically) Yes ... yes you can

* Second, If so, Does anyone know how i can come across getting some? Fish 4 U in Ingleburn, Auburn Aquarium ... Take your pic

* Third, They would most likely be going into a 3ft x 18 inch high tank. Tank mates would be 2 Algae Eaters, 3 Angels and an Alto Comp (Mr Hedgehog). I was wondering how many i could have in this tank? It depends how big they boesmani are and how big the other fish are. As the saying goes, dont put anything in a tank with angels that will fit in their mouth. But beyond that, you have a good size tank so I'd image 4 or 5 might be ok. You may have to get rid of some when they mature though because they can get quite chunky

* Fourthly, Depending on how many i could have in the tank, What would be the ideal Sex ratio to maximise Male colouration and breeding posibilities? No idea sorry champ

* Fifthly, If anyone has any ideas on any other important questions i may have missed, I'd love to hear. Cost? I wouldn't pay more than between $15 and $20 retail per fish. They arent cheap but for good quality stock its worth it.

There are plenty of sites (949 to be exact) on google if you just do a search. Im sure you can come up with any other info you might need there.

Hope that helps thumb.gif

Hi Cameron,

Don't forget. Like any fish there are boesemani and there are boesemani. There is a huge difference in the quality of available fish. Luckily they colour up at a reasonably small size. Choose the best coloured specimens. Also look at their fins and make sure they are well formed.

Good luck

Lyndon

Not a good idea to put that alto comp in there..... they require specific water conditions (as you would probably know) which are totally different to the SAE's and the angels, not so much the boesmanis althought they won't be happy in african water. You will most likely loose your angels and SAE's or your comp depending on your water.

You should consider having a rainbow tank instead..with a couple of SAE's or angels with them, there are plenty of rainbows out there in all different colours.

cheers

Brett

Yeah, I have a spare 2 foot ready for Mr. Hedgehog (Alto, lol. The nickname just came for him. wub.gif )

But yeah he's in the tank for now, and so far he shows no sign of illness. Actually. He seems to love it. smile.gif

WHen he was in the other tank, he would just mope around and just sit there in his little cave. Now he's in this tank. He is heaps more active, He swims around his little cave, scavenging for food and He goes and interacts with the Angels and i don't know, He just seems so much more happier.

But i'll keep my eye out for any problems.

Cameron.

Archived