IS this water ok

grungefreek

Hey Guys,

Just recently got some test kits and have been testing our local water, heres the specs.

pH: 8.2-8.4

GH: 80mg/L

KH: 40mg/L

Now ive never had cichlids before, im really into planteds, but i thought with that high pH, i should be able to have cichlids without all those buffers u guys use to raise pH and stuff. Anyway can u guys advise me if this water seems pretty well suited to cichlids. I know they would probably live in any water, but i like my fish to be happy.

Thanx guys

grunge

This may help as I get a bit confused with KH and GH. I think that your carbonate hardness (I think that it is your GH but it may be your KH) is a little low and you will have to add some salts ( I use Epson salts which is Hydrated Magnesium Sulfate but it still works), I have may tanks at around 200-240ppm this could be the same as 80mg/L but I am not sure.

I think that your water may be a little soft for most africans but as mianos says it depends on the types of cichlids you intend on keeping. I think that KH is the german measurement for your ph. But again I not positive, I have the test kits at home and I have read what it means before I test the water as I keep gettingthem confused. The important thing is that you keep you water relatively stable so the fish have time to adjust once adjusted if the tank is stable you will have smaller losses.

There are alot of more knowledgable people out there with regards to water chemistry, so please correct me if I am wrong.

Even though I don't think I really helped

HTH

cheers

Rosco

I have may tanks at around 200-240ppm this could be the same as 80mg/L but I am not sure

mg/L is the same as ppm. Therefore 200ppm = 200mg/L

I get a bit confused with KH and GH

GH = general hardness

KH = carbonate hardness

German hardness is another scale for expressing the hardness of water (like temperature can be expressed in either celcius or farenheit). To convert degrees of german hardness to ppm you multipy it by 17.

pH: 8.2-8.4

GH: 80mg/L

KH: 40mg/L

Your pH is good for rift lake cichlids, however, I agree you would need to increase the general and carbonate hardness of the water. Sodium bicarbonate will increase your KH. I'd also be inclined to use shell grit, marble chip, coral sand or limestone in your tank/filter to buffer your water and prevent any ph flucuations.

Cheers

Mike

PS. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong blush.gif (maybe that should be my signature?)

mg/L is the same as ppm. Therefore 200ppm = 200mg/L

cheers Mike I thought that they were equivalent but I made so many assumptions in my response I did want to make another laugh.gif. To best best of my knowledge if you use sodium bi carbornate to buffer the water it only last a couple of days so as Mike mentioned it is much better to use shell grit, marble chip, coral sand or limestone to keep your water stable.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong

I have been looking for a signature perhaps I could use that one too LOL.gif

cheers

Rosco

What kind of dosage are we looking at to raise KH using epsom salts?
I probably should have paid more attention to high school chemistry but I don't know if Epsom salts (Hydrated Magnesium Sulfate) would raise the KH ie. carbonate hardness but it should raise the general hardness ie. GH.

Sodium bicarbonate bought from the supermarket as bi-carb soda will definately raise the KH. Depending on your starting water parameters the amount of bi-carb soda you need to add to get a rise of 200ppm would vary. Best way is to test your water out of the tap, add a measured amount of bi-carb soda, make sure it is fully dissolved and then test again, keep going until you get the reading you want.

Make sure you raise the KH slowly, a rise of 200ppm in a short period of time could spell trouble.

Cheers

Mike

PS: Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Archived