Ultimate bristlenose Tank setup

Lepperfish

tongue.gifthumb.gif Hey guys, I have 2 bristlenose cats that are 4cm each, I got them at about 2.5-3cm and they have been growing rapidly..

They were in a community tank, but I have removed all other occupants except 2 bumblebee gobys and 3 neon tetras.. In a 35L tank..

I just want them to be as happy as they can be to provide good growth ect.. What should the tank feature to make them happy.. Its got an UG filter which provides good filtration, some slate rockwork, matured wood and plants..

Feeding them mainly Hikari algae wafers and sera bottom feeder chips..

Anyone with experience and or knowlegde with them would be greatly appreciated.

smile.gif

Hey hey,

My breeders are everywhere from 2' to 6' tanks with other inhabitants or on their own.

The important thing to note is that they like their caves to only have one opening so whether it is a hole in a log or a clay pot or a crevice in between slate or rockwork the male needs to feel he can only be approached from one end LOL.gif

Frequent water changes will encourage spawning, good quality food including some fresh veges help immensely and good water current also assists.

The mating process can be quite brutal (they have delightful barbs if you haven't already noticed) so the female can sometimes look worse for wear after the process.

The male will continue to guard the fry long after they have hatched whilst mum is the ultimate in feminism, as she goes off shortly after mating to persue her own interests LOL.gifLOL.gif

This is the point where if the bristlies are on their own there is no need to remove them however if they share a tank with others then you will have to remove the fry (with dad if you choose) to a safer option.

The fry need to develop special gut flora if they are to survive and they do this perfectly if left with dad as they will get what they need from their environment. Be careful with putting them into a fresh tank that has not been cycled well.

At this stage I also limit water changes as i have found them detrimental to this process.

At 4cm your bristlies are still a little small for breeding however it gives you time to search for suitable cave like structures smile.gif

Good luck.

Cheers

Aline

Thanks for that Chipimbi..

I think I will remove the bumblee bees and neons from the tank..

I dont mind having just bristlenose's in there, IM attached to these 2 becuase there the longest I have had any survive for me..

I think my previous ones died because of not well matured water.

Do the bristlies require any " social stimulation " from other fish or are there specific types of fish that will enhance the life of the bristlies? cool.gif

As I mentioned, I have them in with a variety of species at various PH levels although I personally feel that they are at their happiest around neutral.

They give as good as they get so any harrassment is minimal. I am certain that they will do well either way smile.gif .

You may want to leave what you already have in with them, their should be no real issues until they spawn.

Cheers

Aline

Yeah if I got a male and female to begin with..

IS there any other way to sex them other then if they have bristles on their nose?

Or are they still too small to sex?

Cheers

Archived