Metriaclima vs Maylandia

YeW

Hi All -

Apologies for the second taxonomy thread:

The result of the debate (this time by scientists) appears to be in, Maylandia is correct and Metriaclima is not (being a junior synonym).

See:

http://malawicichlids.com/mw01012.htm

and more recently:

http://malawicichlids.com/mw17009.htm

For those doubters "Pseudotropheus" will still work also :D!

This note provides further information supporting my discussion of the reasons why the genus Metriaclima, proposed by Stauffer et al. (1997), is a junior synonym of the earlier Pseudotropheus subgenus Maylandia of Meyer & Foerster (1984).

Dave. Do you consider this to be an absolute?

The result of the debate (this time by scientists) appears to be in, Maylandia is correct and Metriaclima is not (being a junior synonym).
I note that you say appears to be. Your comments confuse me.

It strikes me that Dr Ron Coleman could put this sort of "Discussion" on his website proposing an opposing view and it would hold the same weight. (I'm not saying that he is going to or that he has even considered the topic)

What is the formal process? I thought it would have needed to be published as a definitive weighing of both views of the subject.

Being a Dr. yourself, how would you go about settling these types of debate in say a nematode?

Hi Mark -

The "appears" is science speak (we dont like to put anything in absolutes). Michael Oliver and Sven Kullander are both cichlid taxonomists by training with PhDs in that field. This is a technical matter regarding the rules of nomenclature. Something about which both of them know a lot more than me (remember here I'm a fungal ecologist, albeit with molecular biology training).... my opinion is that they know of what they speak.

This means Metriaclima is a junior synonym of Maylandia (ie: Maylandia has precedence). This means that provided Maylandia was described correctly and both these scientists say it was (and they'd know) then Metriaclima isnt valid.

I'm not sure if Ron Coleman is a cichlid taxonomist or a behavioural biologist etc? Regardless I understand your question is simply for illustration of a point. Hope my answer clarifies it.

My solution would be a molecular biology one - take DNA sequences from a range of Pseudotropheus types. Compare using a variety of methods... add to morphological data and see what we get. But in this instance it isnt really a matter of actual differences between animules smile.gif it is simply a matter of the technicalities of a description.

Hope this clears up the question and my response.

Archived