Cyprichromis Spawning

kippygeorge

Pictures of a spawn that I caught back in March of this year. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time. Guess it was my lucky night.

Here is the female about to release an egg.

user posted image

The egg just being released.

user posted image

The holding female and proud male.

user posted image

Here is a different female with a mouthful of young.

user posted image

hey nice pics what variant are they, they are nice fish. i have kitumba and they are colouring nice also i like the last pic where you can see the eyes of the young fish in the mouth

thanks

Fantastic shots you have there. I hope to grab a couple of "Utinta" males soon the only trouble is I have to find some girls to go with them and they are hard to source where I am, but there is nothing like a challenge. thumb.gif

cheers

Rosco

Thanks. I caught the spawn on a Wednesday night and I had just come in from choir and started to feed them and saw the female go to a corner of the tank, followed with the male doing his "shimmy, shake" dance and her tube was extended. You should have seen me running for the camera because I knew something was definately up. I snapped off about 25 shots. The egg laying process lasts about 10 minutes. I have not even seen a spawn since. A rare capture indeed!

hey i havent had any problems with them being hyper but they are still kinda young, some males and possible females are getting aroung 8-10cm but the others are growing a lot slower and are only 4-6cm but are younger and from another batch

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Archived