Bristlenose Breeding

Meredith

I can only tell u what i know but ive never bred my BN blush.gif

Get a log that is hollow and has only one opneing. the male will just hang out there and the female will come along and lay here eggs when gravid. The male will continue to guard the entrance until the fry hatch.

Bristlenose are very easy to breed, they will breed in most crevices. Ornaments or driftwood pots or bottles. If they are in with other fish i would check all there hiding places every 3 or 4 days, when u find eggs move the male and the eggs to another tank, or hatch the eggs yourself. Thats it.

KB

they like alot of surface movement, prefer a tank to themselves with plenty of hidey holes, don't do a water change or move them for about a month after they have hatched (if it gets real bad a mug full of water can be taken out every few days or a light clean with a small syphon), during this time you can start to feed them spirulina flake, zuchinni, pumkin, squashed shelled peas etc.

from memory i believe they like a roughly neutral ph.

i had them breeding in a malawi tank, with convicts, firemouths etc.

good luck

• 1 month later...

don't do a water change or move them for about a month after they have hatched

Hey katanaone,

Just curious why you'd suggest no water change for one month? I've done water changes after they've hatched and haven't observed any problems...

Cheers

Richard

hatching is not the problem...in my experience i have more losses if i do a water change before the one month mark. an experienced breeder friend of mine let me in on this and i have had no dramas since then. it seems that bn fry are particularily vulnerable up to the one month mark therefore i give them less cause to stress.

(if it gets real bad a mug full of water can be taken out every few days or a light clean with a small syphon).

cheers mate thumb.gif

Cool, thanks for that I'll have to observe more closely and maybe change my method, never occured to me that BN's could be that sensitive thumb.gif

Archived