Can i keep and breed multies and occis

Canberra Alex

The short answer to this is NO IMO

there are 2 theories.

One is that Occies and multis wont get along beace they will get in each others way, as they are both shell dwellers and will try and take territory off each other etc. may also run into cross bredding problems.

The other theory is that if you have HEAPS and HEAPS of shells and break the line of sight, they will be able to get on ok with each other.

IMO the 2fter isnt big enough for the second theory to be valid.

As mike said, keeping these two species of fish together in such a small tank would be impossible.

If you have ever kept ocellatus before you will understand why.

You would also be surprised at how aggressive multis are, I kept white clouds with them as dither fish and within a week my school of white clouds had dissappeared.

In my opinion a 24x12x16" isn't really big enough for a breeding pair of ocellatus...

Mick

I also don't think that cross breeding would be a problem as the two species are different enough for them not to confuse each other as potential mates.

Multi's are very rough on other fish in the tank. I placed a bristlenose in my multi tank and they were on him in no time. Taking turns picking on him. I removed him real quick.

If your intents are to breed both species and you want the fry, then get two tanks. I keep 3 species of shell dwellers and they are in 3 different tanks.

I breed Multies & Occellatus Blues, & yeah, ditto what was said. The tank you described will house Multies ok, with regular removal of fry. Occellatus need a bigger footprint. IME the females like about 5" around their shell that's theirs, the male need a lot more room. I have a breeding pair of Occellatus in a tank 800x500x350 & I can't have anything else in there as they fight like mad or kill them. With just the pair of Occies in there though I have them breeding happily & they raise the fry to about 1" before they start pushing them around, I sell them at that point anyway. HTH

I disagree with the opinion that you cant breed Occies in a 2 footer. I have been doing so with a trio for quite a while now with very good fry production rates. I have also done it previously with another trio. The key to avoiding casualties is to provide sufficient cover in the tank.

I have my tank divided laterally by a rock wall which blocks line of sight from the front to the back of the tank. I also have a dense row of plants (Hygrophillia (spelling???)) at the back of the tank so that it provides cover/hiding places for any fish that have been chased.

To date I have not had any losses.

Michael

I disagree with the opinion that you cant breed Occies in a 2 footer. I have been doing so with a trio for quite a while now with very good fry production rates. I have also done it previously with another trio. The key to avoiding casualties is to provide sufficient cover in the tank.

I have my tank divided laterally by a rock wall which blocks line of sight from the front to the back of the tank. I also have a dense row of plants (Hygrophillia (spelling???)) at the back of the tank so that it provides cover/hiding places for any fish that have been chased.

To date I have not had any losses.

Michael

Just to clarify, my Occie tank is a 2footer also. My statement wasn't that the tank is too small for Occies but that doing it with a colony of Multi's in there as well is a bad idea. What I meant was that Occies require a bigger territory "footprint" than Multi's so wouldn't be a suitable tankmate for them. My Occi's have the tank to themselves & are very happy. My point wasn't so much about tank size for each individual species as it was about sharing that tank size between the two species. Sorry if I wasn't clear in my information. thumb.gif

Two footer with multis - no problem

Two footer with multis and occellatus - problem.

Two footer with occellatus - problem. They will eventually have an issue. They may get on fine for ages, then one day the male will kick the female out, and unless she can get far enough away, she will be killed. If one is really vigilant, and is home when such an issue happens, then you can remove the girl. If your not home, then you will remove a floater.

Craig

Archived