Eheim repairer

foai

Can anyone given me the contact number of someone who knows how to do repairs to eheim canister filters.

I have snapped the impellor shaft in my 2217 and can't get it out to replace it. I tried taking the top off the filter on the weekend but didn't have any luck.

Cheers

David

If Nigel is too far, take the impeller or the whole filter into Auburn Aquarium (9648 5200), they have most spares for Eheim. Give them a call before you go to make sure they have what you want.

The shaft is ceramic, and while it wears very well, it can be fragile. I can only image you lost part of the shaft down the impellor hole, and it is still there when you took out the impellor. Get a pair of needle nose pliers, and pull the last section out.

Either way, if the shaft is broken, it is a replacement job, not repair, so you've got to go out to get it.

Craig

Craig your comments are correct. I may not have been clear enough in the initial post.

The ceramic shaft snapped half way down and is in the impellor. I tried to get it with tweezers and and pliers but the gap is too narrow. I even tried to glue a piece of wire to the broken impellor and pull it out but that didn't work. I went to Auburn and bought the replacement shaft but can't get the remaining half of the original one out.

What I need to do is get the whole impellor out which at the moment I don't know how to do. That's what I need help with.

I will give Nigel a call.

David

I think Craig's advice is the right one. As thats all I will do its not hard like Craig said get a pair of pointy nose pliers and pull the broken sharft out. My advice is to replace the impeller as well. Try it if you still cant get it out I will fix it for you and it will not cost you anything for me to do it. All you have to pay for is the parts.

The ceramic shaft snapped half way down and is in the impellor. I tried to get it with tweezers and pliers but the gap is too narrow. I even tried to glue a piece of wire to the broken impellor and pull it out but that didn't work. I went to Auburn and bought the replacement shaft but can't get the remaining half of the original one out.

To me what it sounds like you need to do is “punch it out”. Get a piece of metal the same diameter as the shaft (i.e. Will fit inside the impellor), and push it through.

I can’t see how it could get stuck myself, but you say it is, so it must be. However if it is stuck, it sounds like the issue is more you just can’t get to it, than its “stuckness”. I think you will find it is not being held in by much (there is no room for anything to stick it in place). If you have another old pump sitting around for example, it may have a metal shaft. This shaft will probably be of similar diameter, use it to gently push the remains of the ceramic shaft through the Eheim impellor. If you can’t push it through by hand, very, very gently tap it through with a hammer.

Craig

I think what you mean is that your impellor is still stuck in the top of the filter? If that is the case it is just stuck there by the magnetic force and you should be able to just "force" it out without doing any damage. May be a little scary the first time you do it but it isn't really attached to anything in there. Some tweezers might help...

Once your whole impellor is out you should have no problems removing the shaft. It is one of the most common things broken on these eheims and easily replaced.

Replacing the whole impellor can also make it run quieter if it is already damaged i.e. if its been running dry for a while or with a broken shaft it can wear itself down unevenly. If it is noisy after replacing the shaft you could also try that..

Good luck

Vincent

Archived