urgent help pls

MikeWs Fish

I think i was lucky enuf to inherit this from some new fish....

Fish are gasping at the surface, flicking biting each other , rubbing against each other. No white spots or red etc, but the lfs said to dose the tank with promesathyl ( for velvet etc). I did this about an hour ago with no noticable improvement.

I also dosed the tank with sterazin yesterday, with no effects, when i thought it was gill flukes.

any help would greatly be appreciated. theyve been like this since friday and so far ive lost one of the smaller fish.

What are the fish?

Are they by themselves (or what with)?

Did you put them in a quarantine tank or straight in with older settled fish?

When did the new additions get added?

Are the new fish only showing symptons or tankmates also?

Do you have carbon in the filter negating the medication?

Read up on a few recent posts regarding medicating tanks without proper diagnosis, and also on mixing medications.

Uummm. IMHO no-one could say with that much info. What are the water parameters? what type of fish are they. And what size tank is it? It could be anything from overcrowding, aggression, all the way through to a filtration problem. then on the other hand it could be a parasite.

Reading again, the only one which couldn't be down to aggression/territory is the gasping, and that could quite easily lack of dissolved oxygen.

Is there plenty of water movement and airation in the tank? You may just be overstocked? It is hard to make a suggestion as to increase disolved oxygen you could reduce temp a couple of degrees but to fight a parasitic infection generallt an increase in temp is called for. What is the temp BTW?

dont have enuf tank for quaranteen unfortunately

Hope I don't sound like a knob buddy, but sounds like maybe you don't have enough tanks for getting any new fish then.

edit: also an hour doesn't sound like you've given the treatment much time. you have removed the sterazin after only letting it work overnight.

Think about yourself having some kind of illness, and takingsome antibiotics. That first tablet is not a miracle sure. The treatment comes with instructions for a full treatment with maximum effectiveness. There isn't going to be a quick fix. You need to go the long hard slog.

when my demasoni's are in breeding mode the dominate male chases the other fish away. Some of them end up hiding up behind the spray bars and in the corners gasping for air.

Josh

OK, so Josh has settled that beat up fish will gasp - my tanks must be too big and the fish have too many escape options, so lets get the rest of my first lot of questions answered thumb.gif

Are they by themselves (or what with)?

When did the new additions get added?

Are the new fish only showing symptons or established tankmates also?

Do you have carbon in the filter negating the medication?

its not territorial and theyre not getting beaten up - theyre just getting nipped. like they are trying to remove the parasite from each other.

they are gasping for air and theyre is two powerful airstones in EACH of my tanks. Maybe this has/will help me prevent losses.

Its not overstocked either there is about 20 3-6cm fish in a 3fter. Its not lightly stockd but not overstocked. also Ps Aeci are a schooling fish.

its gotta be somethig wrong with their gills, making them gasp for air. IT could either be gill flukes, velvet, whitespot, anu others come to mind??

All water parameters are fine.

does any body know if promesathyl works for whitespot too?

new additions are quite recent, new fish werent eating and have died off slowly one by one unfortunately sadsmiley02.gif I must have transmitted the disease to the aeci by using the same net in different tanks. My Ps aurora are fine and breeding like rabbits.

No carbon in my filters or not to my knowledge.

keep the advice rolling in. thanx for the responses.

It's got me baffled blink.gif

So now I understand the new fish were in another tank...

Is there anything left in that other tank? how are they acting?

Did the 'new' fish which died off exhibit the same symptoms? Or was not eating all you saw of it?

The more info you provide the better the advice you will recieve.

IMO your initial post and subsequent posts weren't all that clear, but that last post is alot easier to work with. Reads like you put a bit more time and thought into it thumb.gif (Understandable though since your obviously feeling rushed and concerned about your babies blush.gif )

the not eating part was all i saw of the ps demasoni sadsmiley02.gif there are 4 left 3 look fine one is not eating. I'm very depressed about it....... One of them obviously had bloat or dropsy coz the carcass was very bloated. They werent eating from the start.. i tried treating them with with light doses of flagyl.. didnt help.... sadsmiley02.gif

the aeci are showing slight signs of hunger but im not gonna feed them.... they all have lots of scales missing from getting scratched and rubbed and nipped.

It looks like ive got a combination of diseases gong through my sysytem sadsmiley02.gif

I'm not as concerned about the demasonii as they really cant be helped... but the acei stuff is new and really dont wanna start losing them too

maybe its a water quality issue in the aecii tank coz i came home on thurs night and the tank absolutely stunk and there was a lot more than average fish mess on the floor. I did a water change st8 away and also did a water change today. ITs gotta be some bacteria or virus or something or a combination of everything!

Ive been doing eatwr changes for all my tanks at least once a week. I really cant work it out..

Well I'm just about to run out but what I would do if possible is to go back to where you got the demasoni (if it was retail, private might be more difficult) and inspect some tanks and make sure their remaining fish are healthy. If they aren't they might be able to help you with the diagnosis. Good luck, and fingers crossed.

It sounds like aggression to me. Fish dont normally bite/rub each other to remove parrasites.

is there two tanks affected? or are the demasoni and acei together? and how long has the acei tank been running?

to answer your question on the origin of the ps. demaisoni ducksta-they came from me.there is still 3 lots of 4 or so in 3 different tanks the same amount which were left when mike got his fish 2 weeks ago.there has been none lost here in fact 2 mouthfuls in different tanks too.i will snap some pics to send ya mike.

Josh, acei tank has been runnning for about a month i set it up using established water and an established filter etc.

I doubt its agression. coz the acei are just taking theimpact of the little nips like a calvus would. normally pseduos are quite violent when there is a dispute etc. There are 3cm fish taking nips out of 6-7cm fish. Just doesnt seem right.

all the fish have big white blotches where scales are missing and have been scratched away.

anyways, theyre sleeping on the bttom of the tank which is a good sign (i hope fingers crossed) and some of them are using the oxygen bubbles to scratch themselves. The flicking and biting have seemed to be occuring less frequently. I hope it stays this way.

no gravel

i just did a 50 percent water chaange coz the nirogen was at an unacceptable level. Should i re mediacte the 50 percent of the water that was changed?

Mike, I doubt you will like this but your obsession with medicating your tanks could well be part of the problem. I have noticed you treat for gill-flukes and suggest others do 3 times, from the top of my head, in the last month or so.

Medication should be only used when you know what you are treating...and in the way it is recommended.

Please just stick with the basics unless you are sure about what you are treating.

Archived