Ps livingstonii

MikeWs Fish

I thought my female swallowed her mouthful and kept maybe one egg or sumthing. when i stripped her, i got 6 little wrigglers and 2 eggs with tiny heads. they're all gettting lots of oxygen etc.

I know i stripped har a bit early, but the 2 eggs with tiny heads should be right, yeah? do they need to be tumbled, coz i dont have a tumbler. Me thinks the best thing to do is just leave em and let them devellop.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldnt think they'd still need tumbling at this stage however Im no breeding expert. For future reference though you should make your own tumbler. Theres DIY directions to make one floating around here somewhere but I cant find the link. I will post it when I can though blush.gif

clap.gif Excellent

Brett has some fry from his wildcaughts also thumb.gif

My females have all had plenty of practice mouthfuls now, and I have 3 holding, so I am going to start isolating them as previously I was just letting them practice in the main tank in the hope the live food would entice more spawnings in the tank. woot.gif

I cant in my mind understand why you'd strip a female early if you thought she'd lost her load though? Thats alot of stress to put a girl through in the hope of saving " maybe one egg or sumthing" blink.gif

ducky, i did it because i didnt want to hold 1 egg for 3 weeks (thats a lot more stress then stripping her IMO for 1 or 2.) anyways ive got al least 6 fry so far the other 2 need more developing before i can say that theyll be ok.

*edit*she looked very very interested in food and she didnt have the buldge that she did when she first had the mf. she must have swallowed half of it or sumthn.

OK it's just my personal opinion, but I think leaving them do what they do naturally is "probably" less stressful than manhandling them and prying their mouth open for a couple of minutes. I say probably because I can't physically ask them, but I am pretty sure if it was too stressful and difficult mouth-brooding cichlids would have died out long ago.

Hi Guys,

I would have milked her at about the 12 day mark.

they do die quite alot in the wild - most end up as fish food but in a fry saver they got a much better than normal (in the wild) chance of survival even at 7days after conception

Sorry mate you have lost me with this first part.(they do die quite alot in the wild). There would be a small percentage consumed by other fish. Thats just life.

ALL Fish are going to survive better in a fish saver. Doesn't matter what species it is as it is easier to control the feeding of the fry and know that the fry are safe from larger fish.

i did it because i didnt want to hold 1 egg for 3 weeks (thats a lot more stress then stripping her IMO for 1 or 2.) anyways ive got al least 6 fry so far the other 2 need more developing before i can say that theyll be ok.

I really wonder what made you think your fish only had 1 egg.???

I have bred these fish also yes I thought it was a small mouthful but at least I let let the girl hold for 12 days before attempting to milk. They are the smallest fry I have had besides multi's. I got 8 out of the mouthful and they love eating microworms and newly hatched brine. If you milk any fish early the females could start to spit early and you could miss out on fry. With small wrigglers there is a chance they may not survive. I have seen people milk fish early and come back next day to find they have rolled them or there is fungus over them.

I just think it is a bad habit to milk any fish early. The females dont learn to hold full term ect ect.

HTH

Brett woot.gif

Brett, What i meant is they dont just slop over and die in the wild, almost ALL of them get eaten. I think i remember heaqring that there is 1 in about 200 or something that actually makes it to the stage where they can reproduce. That was from the jewel of the rift, correct me if im wrong. Wrong lake but prolly close to the same statistics.

edit: Blake, I think Ducksta deserves all the credit for getting off his backside and taking the responsibility and purchasing about 40? of these from Melbourne and then dispersing them thro NSW. I just bought some off him and was lucky enough to get an early mouthful

I still think it will be many more years before they get to a stage where they are common as electric yellows or blues, actually, it pretty hard for any species to get as common as yellows. They are indeed a special fish for the hobby. IT was Electric yellows that made me decide to start keeping cichlids. I had community fish and asked the Lfs ower 'whats that?' ,'I want one of those' and he said that i couldnt have em coz theyd kill and eat everything. then i got my 1st 4fter and went on my search of 'rare' cichlids. Newbs will be newbs rolleyes.gif . Anywyas, went off the topic a little.

i have male who is only 4cm and he has been trying to entice a female i would have thought he was too small , what size do these guys start breeding i have about 4 or 6

cheers

the one in 200 is actually on the substrate spawning emporer cichlid, I think you will find survival rates are MUCH higher with mouth brooding cichlids.

I just think it is a bad habit to milk any fish early. The females dont learn to hold full term ect ect.

as for stripping, well I am with brett on this. its just a REALLY bad idea to strip the first mouthful unless its absolutely critical to do so.

well there are different schools of thought about stripping and i dont belive that anything 'imprints' at all. when they swallow them it doesnt mean that they swallow every other mouthful. Edit2: I have fish that i stripped 1st mf that breed time and time again and ive got fish that i didnt stip that swallow their eggs time and time again. Edit: Then again, lots of people that strip cichlids will agree with you abotu theoir 1st or 3rd or 5th mf even.

Anyone got some exact figures about survival rates for mb cichlids,from malawi, out of pure interest?

have a look in my breed ing thingo in my post under my name. There shouldbe a link to the pic. They arent the most beautiful things in the whole wide world but they are quite unique. they fidh going around in circles, like when two cats fight in cartoons lol

Hi Guys,

I was having problems with a fish swallowing eggs so now I dont feed the tank and the second reason I believe is the kh or gh are way too high or low.

I told a good friend about this problem with some fish I dropped my kh and gh and didn't feed the tank when there were mouthfuls now they are holding very well with no problems.

I dont think in the lake that the attrition rate would be that high with fry being eaten. There would be so many species spawning and with mouthfuls that it would be low.

I was going to get some of these fish from Melbourne but I waited on the wildcaught ones which are breeding well. I will probably give Ducksta a male to better his line that way in time there is going to be a good strain of these available in a few months time.

My males are stunning when breeding with the girls.

I have heard that in the lake they use shells to hide and spawn in.

HTH

Brett woot.gif

These fish are part of the NSWCS breeding program. Kimbo, I know merjo has some over there in perth. Ducksta got some up from Melbourne, as they were impossible to find in NSW. I dont know that they will ever get back to being a popular fish as they are not the prettiest fish on the market, and they do breed like rabbits.

I got a link to info on them

here

they look something like a silver lombardoi wink.gif well sort of

Josh

brett

Did the wild caught fish come through rod wallace? And could you post up some pics, so we can seeif theresa difference?

When your fish are holding, you said, you dont feed any fish? Do you find that the other fish suffer and not breed aswell? I know the fish you have aint the everyday fish that most of us keep, but I would be interested in knowing if the other females lose condition from not eating for a few weeks

josh

Yeah that them alright.

My 2c with the wild caughts. If u got them where i think u did, be sure to fiind out the locality. They should have it written down somewhere. There are a few different localitles of these fish and we wouldnt want them to get mixed up and confused, not that i know what locality my fish are huh.gif

Archived