normal house lighting

Peter_Gun_Riff

will plants grow under normal house lighting?? i want to get some java moss and im going to get it attacked to rocks but i dont want it all thru my tank. i was wondering if i could get the moss and rocks in a containder and put it under a normal lamp will the moss survive?? or does it require fluro??

other wise how else could i get it on the rocks with out it all over the tank

TIA

The watt saver globes give a whiter light than a standard globe, I'm not sure what kelvin rating they are though. For good plant growth im told you need between 6800 and 10000 kelvin. You can buy a small plug in flouro light made by Crompton which produces 6800 k and i think you can buy them as short as 20-25 cm. that would be ideal to light a small tank or a small area in a big tank if used with a pvc shroud of some kind.

Bob

I think the metal halide lights will work great, although expensive.

Another option, would be some reptile lights that put out uva/uvb. Or even some NEC blacklights should work well, although no light can replace natural sunlight, they do mimick it quite well.

Alan.

You want to grow some plants separate from a tank go down to the shop and pick up a 'daylight' or 'cool' energy saver bulb of the maximum power you can find. (I have 26W but 20W will work. Fit that to a desk lamp and put your rocks into a container full of water. Make sure the container is not very deep. The closer the plants to the light the quicker they will grow. You would probably want to dose the water with a balanced fertiliser (get an water soluble orchid mix with traces and you won't need anything else). Not an aquatic fertiliser as if you have no livestock you will be missing N. Change 50% of the water once a week and re-dose the water. If the water starts to go green change 50% every day until it clears. Re-dose.

Don't pay too much attention to spectrum, it's mainly about power that ends up as light. Flouros are better then filaments as they put out lots of light and less heat. (Scientific studies have been done on colour temperature and most flouros will work. Photosynthesis is the same as terrestrial plants and heaps of research has been conducted on lighting as the better the light the more money commercial growers can make). Personally, to my eyes, I do like the look of the higher colour temperature and the better CRI but plants are way more adaptable to the spectrum then the power.

Metal halide not much better but the light density is much higher. (i.e. try and fit 300W of flouros in a 20cm square space) so if you want lots of light they are probably the best, bit I digress as it's not relevant here.

Some plants also like a bit of heat so you either want to make sure the light warms the water, have a heater or add a small heater to the water (which will help circulate the water a little due to convection).

Good suggestion from Brett and you can grow alot more than java moss out there too in summer wink.gif The sunlight supercharges the growth tongue.gif

I also think its good that someone has brought up the myth of colour temperature growing algae. I don't think there has ever been any proof that colour temp affects growth all that significantly and most ppl just prefer the 'look' of a certain colour temp.

I know plenty of ppl who have grown lots of plants without algae forming under normal cool white lamps, so if appearance doesn't matter to you and you have one handy, I'd go for it!

Just another one of those internet myths that stems from a website or two getting quoted all over the place as 'fact' smile.gif

Anyway what I have done in the past is popped a tank outdoors with DIY Co2 and lots of gravel. You could try a nutritious substrate too. The sunlight makes everything grow extra fast but you will need to keep the nutrients well balanced. In return you will have more plants than you know what to do with, and pruning will be required every week, sometimes twice a week..

In the end I got sick of pruning. I did end up with lots of credit from the LFS and also stocked all my tanks with the rarer stuff like bolbitis etc...

Good luck...

Vincent

most low light requirement plants will grow under normal incandescent lights ( in the 50s they grow lots of plants using this techique (the disadvantage is heat and cost more wattage eq 100watt compared to 32 watt ( the cost of flouros too high at this stage for hobby lighting) ). depends on the size of tank but normal daylight flouros can grow plants well , if the tank is small try a energy saving bulb as the new all in one tanks are coming out with pc flouros( but have a lower colour spectrum then normal flouros at this stage.) try the cool white ones I beleive these have a higher colour spectrum. For ulimate plant growth you need to look at metal halide lights systems just like your local dope grower.

Archived