Tank specs for Frontosa breeding colony

JJHamer

I'm currently growing up some Frontosas to eventually breed, but it will be a couple years at least before they begin. So, seeing as I have all the time in the world, I can invest in as good a tank as possible for my colony. Hence, I would like some recommendation on tank size, decoration, no. of fish, possible tank mates, etc. for what will be my prize tank.

Also, any hints and tips as to how to keep them happy from experienced Frontosa breeders would be hugely appreciated.

not an experienced frontosa breeder myself, but everyone i know that keeps and breeds adults have at least a 6x2x2 with sand and large clay pots for hiding. Rocks and other objects tend to injure the frontosa when they get startled so pots are the way to go thumb.gif

it all depends how big a colony you keep, 1m and 3f will live and breed quite happily in a 4x2x2 you only need a monster tank if you have more than 1 male,also you need 2 hiding areas for the 2 females that arnt breeding, good luck jj

I was told from an experienced breeder (very reliable source, owns a fish store + supplier) that he keeps 2 males and 9 females in a 4x2x2, with the largest male being over 16 inches and the smallest female 9 inches. He has been breeding them for many years, and always has excellent stock. So, how difficult would it be to replicate this kind of setup?

Archived