Cichlid Documentary

Lv426

Does anyone know the name of the David Attenborough doco about Cichlids?. I saw it on Foxtel about 5yrs ago and I cant for the life of me remember the name of it. I remember that it fascinated me then and I didnt even have any fish tanks at all laugh.gif

The only one i could find any info on was

THE REPRODUCTIVE BEHAVIOR OF THE RAINBOW CICHLID, Herotilapia multispinosa.

Gary Quick (a Jack Ward Competition entry) (14 min.)                                                                                              GQ

This video is intended for use both by students of ethology and advanced cichlidophiles.  many of the behaviors are reproduced in a similar manner by many other species of cichlids (especially substrate brooders), so this can be used as a generic guide to cichlid reproductive behavior.  The color patterns are obviously unique to the rainbow cichlids.  The video is divided into four sections:  the Introduction (which is narrated by Gary Quick), the Natural History (again narrated), Color Patterns, and Action Patterns.  The latter two sections are not narrated so that viewers can concentrate on seeing the subtle intricacies of each color pattern and action pattern.

Producer/photographer:  Gary Quick

ABS/Jack Ward Memorial Film Competition (non-commercial) - Best Film, 1997

I dont know if the one you did see

josh

Awesome video dude, thanks heaps. thumb.gif

I'm not sure if it is the one I saw, but who cares this one is cool too...... Was it necessary to split the whole file into 33 files of 14.6mb each.? Could you not just have the completed movie to download? I dont mean to sound ungrateful I've been clicking it thoughout the day and I finallly finished now...phew LOL.gif

Thanks again smile.gif

that that was the guy who narrated the doco u watched its not David Attenborough! if it sounds familiar to you that coz its the guy who did the voice of mufasa (simba's dad) in the lion king woot.gif

i dunno why they break it into so many bits but i downloaded it the other day, if anyone wants a copy and only has access to dial up maybe one of us could just burn u a copy thumb.gif

I would have loved to get a burnt copy but have pretty much got most of it.. upto part 23 now.. should have the rest by tomorrow..

If anyone has any others that are good a burnt copy wouldnt go astray thumb.gif

The reason its split is because it has been hosted there as is for longer than most people have had cable or download managers. Imagine 3 years ago (or imagine a bit longer if you were one of the pioneer cablers) you attempted to download that as a single full movie file. It would be impossible to resume the download when you lost your connection and impossible to have a connection for more than 5 hours with most ISP's.

If that documentry was titled "Jewel of the Rift" or some such thing then there must be hundreds of CD's out there of that show. They were being passed around like bussiness cards up here a couple years ago.

I've got one some where blush.gif If I could only find the darn thing.

Alan

I just finished dloading it (love teh 1.5 adsl) it extracts to one big ~500mb mpeg that you can encode into a video CD easy enough, just as I currently am.

dvd player & TV much better than PC monitor

Yep, once you have all 36 parts it extracts as one file and you can burn and share like that, im going to share it on kazaa so people like me who searched for it can finally get it!

The video is good, I learnt alot from it, especially about the shell dewellers..

Now I need to find a good doco on malawi and mbuna.. Anyone know of any?

Those of you that have yet to see this film....watch it....it's awesome. The tedious download is a pain but well worth it clap.gif

I have been searching through Dc++ and Bit Torrent for any fish let alone cichlid doco's... no dice. Then again this one is called "Jewel of the Rift" so any searches I have done on 'cichlid' or 'David Attenborough' would of course show no results.

I could have sworn that I saw a doco with cichlids narrated by David Attenborough. dry.gif

It would have had to be a BBC doco as he has worked with them. Come on people....surely someone has seen this doco. It ran on Foxtel about 5yrs ago.

eek.gif

Jewel of the rift also goes under the name "Little fish in deep water" so try that too.

I believe there are slight differences in the two movies, but I've seen both and can't remember much difference.

This may sound like a silly sugestion but it is a valid one. If you want something that has not been released but a certain channel may have it. If you know a teacher or anyone in education you can ask them if they can get it for you from the station. Someone did this recently for my girlfriend. She couldn't get it from the station (but they had shown it on TV recently), she asked a teacher, the teacher called up the station and they sent her a copy of the Doco.

Anthony

PS: It may just work smile.gif. Give it a year and ill be able to get them tongue.gif

Downloaded it last night/ this morning.

Man.. All i can say is, I want some of those Emperor Cichlids! Lol!.

And maybe one of those Otters tongue.gif They look pretty fun. lol.

I learned heaps! I didn't know the Puffers could break through a crabs shell!

Very interesting :D

The Emperor cichlid is Boulengerochromis microlepsis. This cichlid is one impressive fish clap.gif

They grow to ~70cm, tankbusters. I have enquired about them at LFS. Im told you cannot get them here in Oz....doh. Another nice specimen which looks similar to me is Bucchochromis rhoedesii (couldnt be stuffed to check spelling). I have seen them at Riverside Aquariums..

Ahh too many fish I want, not enough tanks is my problem toohard.gif

Archived