Info wanted: Eheim Classic 2217

Scienceman

Yesterday somebody suggested a cheap supplier in the low $200's (but used a shorthand name I could not understand), any suggestions?

Can any justification be made to go to a ProII instead, which is just under $500?

(i just renamed the topic so it wasnt moved to the classifieds, then deleted smile.gif )

i have a 2217 i paid $250 thats here in Melbourne,you really need to shop around as the price varied by a $100, but recently Auburn Aquariums had a special on them , you might want to give them a call

cheers

Have a hunt around for my discussion topic of 'starting out with cichlids', I actually asked a similar question and got heaps of responses, I ended up buying 2217 and ac300 hob filter from one of the sponsers ( age of Aquariums). Delivered straight to my door.

My tank is 1300 * 610 * 410

Thanks Roo. I notice that you have an additional filter. My LFS did not think I need another in addition to the 2217 but I notice others often have extra filters as well as a canister.I (will) have a 180X45X50cm. Are your dimensions in mm or cm?

Thanks. Just called them and the $215 price is available until the end of Dec.

Does anybody think I will need an addtitional filter on a 6', 400L tank with 20-30 adult cichlids?

My LFS said that the turnover rate was meaningless as a more efficient filter like the Eheim did not need the high flow rate to filter properly.

Anybody with a similar tank size and an Eheim - what do you do?

scienceman,

its never bad to have too much filtration. you will most likely start off with juvenile fish so you wont have a big bio load. the 2217 can easily handle that. then as the fish grow you monitor water quality. if you find the 2217 is not getting the job done as they grow you look at another filter.

if find you need to get something else you could do one of a few things. a good little internal could help with water movement and also do some mechanical filtering. a HOB style filter like the aquaclear would also do an excellent job for mechanical filtration allowing your 2217 to do purely biological. problems with HOB is they are UGLY. of course you could always look at two external filters. just depends on budget really. but I don't think you need the second filter right up.

if you turn the water over too fast the bacteria dont get a chance to fully convert the waste into nitrate, to that end it would make more sense to have 2 filters running slowly than 1 running flat out and washing the bacteria out the media---imo

Hi -

Good to see another man of science on the forums :D!

I recommend the square professional eheim range. They are much quieter and easier to maintain than the round eheims IMHO.

I know they are considerably more expensive... but in my opinion it is money well spent!

HTH -

I've never relied solely on one filter. For larger (between say 3' and 5') tanks I find the combination of one good size canister and one powerful HOB or IPF does the trick. In my experience the canisters, whilst they do churn out a lot of water and house a lot of bacteria, need a helping hand sometimes when it comes to keeping water clear from floating debris and sediment. Every tank I've had has had a turn-over of roughly 10 times an hour and I've never lost a fish to disease or poor water quality. HTH thumb.gif

it would make more sense to have 2 filters running slowly than 1 running flat out and washing the bacteria out the media

hmm according to the fluid-bed filter zealots this is incorrect. Their rational for why FBF's can support the huge bioloads they apparently can is that the old bacteria is continually being scuffed off the sand so there's always nice "baby bacteria" at the active surface.

It seems plausable as the available surface area quickly diminishes as the media gets clogged with slime and older generations of bacteria but I'm working from the hype here... haven't got around to trying one myself.

Hi,

I have 2 or more cannister filters on all my big tanks,one high volume/output one as the main filter and a smaller back up one.The back up one is handy when you are setting up the "next tank" (and if you are into cichlids this is as likely as the sun coming up in the morning)as it gives me a "seeded" filter to help with new tank cycling.It also gives you the flexibility to use other media like activated carbon and zeolite etc without interfering with the main biological filter........activated carbon is good for taking out the tannins that leach out of driftwood.While the Eheim Pro 2's are excellent filters(i have several myself)i would be more inclined to buy a 2217 and a 2215,would probably cost the same as the Pro 2.

cheers thumb.gif

Archived