6x2x2 steel stand teir stand

Stuart74

Hi all, I was asked the question on building steel stand's and am now costing up the job but im unsure on what size tube to use? I was thinking either 50x50 in 5mm or 70x50 in 5mm. Im not keen on using anything smaller but if anyone thinks its overkill then please post a reply smile.gif

I have a design or two in mind but if anyone has a Picture of theirs and would like to share I would be most appreciative thumb.gif

Cheers

Stuart

For the racks i am Building I am using 40x40 2mm think steel. I was told by a boiler maker this would be fine. The racks are holding 6 4 foot tanks and 3 3 foot tanks

Josh

IMO 50 by 50 by 5mm is really overkill, the tank and set up may weight around 750 kgs ( water, tank, substrate etc)

While I dont have the engineering specs, I worked as a tradesman for 12 years and have built a large range of things, including my tank stand. 40 by 40 2mm will be more than fine.

Have you thought of 316 stainless ,looks heaps better and is stronger than mild steel and you dont have to paint .

Neil

hi,

I built this stand from 40x40x3.5mm square tube

user posted image

It's copeing pretty easily and could probably has enough spare capacity to fit a small minibus on top as well smile.gif

but I still wouldn't try anything smaller; the steel needs to be pretty rigid to keep a 6-foot beam straight under that sort of load.

Of course... if you can add supports along the way so the beam lengths are shorter than you can get away with lighter stuff.

blush.gif Well maybe it was overkill after talking to a few people, Im looking at settling on 50x50x2.5 smile.gif

My design is very similar to chorrylan's and except I was thinking of a stronger beam at the front on the top section as there are legs everywhere else suporting the tank frames and nothing in the middle at the top. I dont want the middle leg to go all the way to the top frame but also want some extra support.

Once I have finished the design to the new spec's I was given tonite I will post it up to see if anyone can see any glaring flaws with it laugh.gif

I have managed to repair cars for the last 12 years you think i would be able to knock up a simple tank stand but it never hurts to ask others.

Neil - After I saw your post I did ring about Stainless but fell off my chair when they told me the price but thank you anyway.

Cheers and thanks all

Stuart

hi,

check with ben to see what his racks are made of.

He had a photo recently in the classifieds forum and it looked like 40x40 profile though the photo has been taken down now so I'm really just guessing.

He had a pair of 6x2's on the rack (you might notice mine only has a 6x2x18" on the top level which is around 200kg lighter)

• 2 weeks later...

Welding and grinding with open toed footwear. Gezz, even I wouldn't do that clap.gif .

Laurie - the least you could have done was clean the top of the tank off when you took that photo blush.gif

Looks like you went with the 50 by 50mm size Stuart. It is overkill, but you'll certainly take care of Mr. Murphy rolleyes.gif I'd rather have it a bit too strong, that bringing in an sort of question mark over the issue.

I built my stand for my near future 3m 2000l tank out of 50 by 50 Duragal, and mitred the ends so there was no open ends for water or cockroaches to get into.

Craig

im working with my cousin ATM who rents a shed to a welder and he said i could have they stand for free if i fixed it all up apart from the welding. then i got welders flash sadsmiley02.gif while grinding it back just recovered from it extremly painful it got me in the corners of the eyes mad.gif

i cant remember what we used but ill get some pics soon but they other day they were making trusses etc out of it so id say its quiet strong

Archived