Show on Channel 2

Ducksta

Anybody happen to catch it? I saw it - no idea what the show was as I was channel surfing in my eternal boredom. Was quite interesting about the company SRS and their catching in Vanuatu and the "alleged" effects it is having.

yeah i caught it. this was basicly what it was about and what was going on. i lefft this post on Newcastleaquaholics

there was a tv program on tonight about the aquarium trade in vanuatu and the effects on the reefs around the islands. I never knew how bad it was, there is a company who fishes the reefs think its called the SCS and they have done massive damage from over fishing and from snaping of bits of coral. A marine biologist who is working on the island said that this company has fished the reefs so much that the amount of fish that are there now is like only 50% of what it was a few years ago. The fisher men who go out and catch these fish use cyanide to catch these fish and many of these fish die on the way back to harbour and are just dicarded. Once the fish are at the harbour they put them in tanks that are full of chemicals and drugs to make the fish less stressed and to make any wounds heal quicker. The fish are so druged up that they apear to be dead. hundreds of these fish get shiped out but the main market is Australia and the USA, In Australia if a fish is sold for $48 only 24cents goes back to the fisher man who risk their lives to get these fish.

I dont know bout you but i will never look at salt water fish again makes me think twice

If you're worried about where marine fish/coral are coming from you can always ask the LFS where they're getting them. I've spoken to Anthony at Auburn and was told that the coral they get comes from companies who have legally leased a plot of sea in which they are allowed to harvest coral etc. Obviously if they fish-out their plot in the first year then they've screwed themselves, so this system encourages active propogation and conservation of the reefs. Good idea if you ask me and its nice to see LFS being descerning about where their corals etc. are coming from. This conversation happened a while ago so I might've muddled something up in my mind but thats the gist of it tongue.gif

BlakeyBoyR - thats a bit naive matey, all the collection in Vanuatu is "legal". SRS have all the necessary permits from local tribes and the Vanuatu Govt and Fisheries. All the collection on Fijian reefs, and spread vastly across the Pacific Islands is fully legal. These areas are so poor that the $1000AU a month a tribe is paid to fish the reef seems like a blessing since the aquarium fish are useless and inedible to them anyway. The way they see it, even though the catchers can collect a $5000 haul in a day - the $1000 a month is better to buy resources for their tribe than someone elses.

This is why collection is so profitable in poorer Pacific Nations and why the Great Barrier Reef is not targetted by the biggest exporters as they make less profit when they are moitored properly.

I am not having a shot at Anthony of course - I don't know who his supplier is. But its not hard to get permits from corrupt governments no matter what the business you intend to pursue.

ps. I think you will find SRS don't collect using cyanide. I think the point made about cyanide was that other collectors use it, while SRS will not as the death rate is too high, while they claim their survival rate to be over 99% in Vanuatu.

Archived