Will airlines let you carry fish?

julesjb

Any ideas on how to do this?

Can you put them in your bag? The x-ray will pick them up - are there issues here at all? Do you need to put them in the plane's hold?

Has anyone ever done this before?

Thanks for your help!!

Jules

There is nothing illegal taking fish from Sydney to Melbourne. I have not done it, but friends in Melbourne visiting Sydney have taken fish home (as you do). On one occasion I know they were prevented taking them on as hand luggage (the only way to do it by the way as you don’t know how your baggage will be treated).

Hopefully some regular air travellers can give you a more conclusive answer. You will otherwise have the choice to keep them in your hand luggage (I assume you haven’t got heaps of fish to transport) without notifying the airline, and let the cards fall where they do. Notify the check-in people and hope for the best, or give them a ring before you go to see if the airline has any problems with it.

I expect it will be an issue with individual airlines – give them a call before going to the airport.

Craig

I dont know too much about the original question, but a clarification on CT's reply:

There is nothing illegal taking fish from Sydney to Melbourne

It will be illegal to possess a live fish of a given species if that particular species is a declared noxious fish in the destination state (Vic) as all states have different fish on their list.

Michael

Just pack them with oxygen and prime in separate bags in a polystyrene box and check it in as regular luggage. Ring beforehand to confirm, but I've done it before with no problems.

If it's only going to be a couple of hours between bagging them and unbagging them at the other end, oxygen is not required but still advisable.

Hi Jules

I looked into this in 2003. I found that Virgin allows fish to be carried on as hand luggage. I carried 2 bags of fish home to Melbourne from Sydney last year no problem. Just had them in a plastic cary bag. Dont let them put the fish through the xray machine, just pass them around letting the inspector look at them. Apparently xrays make fish sterile. Explain that to the inspector and it should be fine. On the plane I just put the fish on the floor under the seat. They arrived home no problem. I wouldnt take large fish though. They dont travel very well.

Good luck

Lyndon

If you've ever had xrays close to 'there' you'd remember the thick lead plate they get you to hold to cover the nether-regions because of possible side effects.... Now they are trialling full body xray in airports. That couldnt be safe surely?

If you've ever had xrays close to 'there' you'd remember the thick lead plate they get you to hold to cover the nether-regions because of possible side effects.... Now they are trialling full body xray in airports. That couldnt be safe surely?

Those full body Xray are really minor.

if you see examples you will notice that it does not penetrate the body like a traditional xray.

Eg a traditional xray will penetrate most of you body except for your bones but the new full body xrays hardly even penetrate your body.

So in the new ones you can see the full outline of the person......and then if they are carry something metal it will show up. So in conclusion they are a lot weaker in strength.

Maybe someone with a more scientific reason could explain it better laugh.gif

Can you send fish by Australia Post?

Not if you want to see them alive again! Their delivery would be too slow and their handling of packages zipit.gif .

You could try some express freight companies or couriers like TNT or DHL but the cost of their priorities services is restrictive. Much better to get the sender to take the fish to an airport and send as unaccompanied baggage and then pick them up yourself at the other end.

Thanks guys - really appreciate all the responses.

Fortunately its just a melb-syd run and its Virgin (who are pretty chilled out I reckon)

Will call them first and then let you all know how it goes but would much prefer to take them on board with me.

With the current craziness on flights (see the news today??!!) they will probably be pretty suss about it....

Anyone know if calvus/compressiceps (tang not malawi) are permitted in Vic?

Jules

Hi Jules, they're certainly in Vic - so I assume they're permitted...

Cheers

Richard

Archived