Terminology used on this forum

Cichlids_au

Hi gang

As popular demand dictates we need to put together a list of terms that are used both in the hobby and on the forums. To that end, would you all please provide your comments.

I would like you to follow the format below to ensure it will be easiest for me to convert it all to HTML code.

Start

Pair

Two fish that have mate bonded

space

Breeding Pair

Two fish that have successfully breed and reared fry

space

etc

You don’t need to put the comments that are in red in your post.

No shorthand please and also express all numbers in words.

I will edit this post as we go and delete the ones that have been included

for people like me (basically computer illeterate) who took ages to comprehend the chat jargon.

IMO = In my oppinion.

IMHO = In my humble oppinion.

HTH = Hope that helps.

LFS = Local Fish Store.

EOI = Expressions of Interest.

FS = For sale.

WTB = Wanted to Buy.

as for fishkeeping terminology.

Mouthbrooders: mostly african but also a few south american cichlids who incubate the eggs of young in their mouth, until they are old enough to take care of themselves. eg. electric yellows (Labidochromis caeruleus)

substrate spawners: fish who prepare their 'nest' in the substrate or lay their eggs on flat rock etc. for example: convicts (Cichlasoma nigrofasciatum)

Spawn: either to deposit eggs or referring to the offspring, usually associated with fish that have a large number of offspring such as substrate spawners.

wild caught: fish that have been captured in their natural habitat.

F1: first filial generation, i.e. the first generation of fry from wild caught parents.

F2: second filial i.e. the fry from the F1 generation.

F3: third filial generation or tankbred fish. these fry are three generations away from wildcaught stock.

theres probably heaps that i have left out but i hope this gets the ball rolling.

Not sure if chat jargon is to be included but here are Ryans in the correct format

IMO

In my oppinion.

IMHO

In my humble oppinion.

HTH

Hope that helps.

LFS

Local Fish Store.

EOI

Expressions of Interest.

FS

For sale.

WTB

Wanted to Buy.

Mouthbrooders

mostly african but also a few south american cichlids who incubate the eggs of young in their mouth, until they are old enough to take care of themselves. eg. electric yellows (Labidochromis caeruleus)

substrate spawners

fish who prepare their 'nest' in the substrate or lay their eggs on flat rock etc. for example: convicts (Cichlasoma nigrofasciatum)

Spawn

either to deposit eggs or referring to the offspring, usually associated with fish that have a large number of offspring such as substrate spawners.

wild caught

fish that have been captured in their natural habitat.

F1

first filial generation, i.e. the first generation of fry from wild caught parents.

F2

second filial i.e. the fry from the F1 generation.

F3

third filial generation or tankbred fish. these fry are three generations away from wildcaught stock.

AND NOW WHAT WE'VE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR

'Milking'

The process of extracting infertile ova (eggs) from a conditioned female fish, usually by applying pressure to the abdomen, followed by the extraction of milt from a conditioned male by the same process to artificially fertilise the eggs. This practice is carried out in farming of food fish and sport fish (ie. trout and salmon) and SHOULD NOT be attempted by the aquarist.

'Stripping'

The process of opening the mouth of a fish (generally female but can also be male of some species) carrying eggs or partially developed fry in order to force release of them. This may be done to increase spawn size as fry grow and there is not enough room for all the fry so some are lost. If eggs are 'stripped' the eggs generally need to be 'tumbled' or they will fungus. Stripping may also be necessary to save fish from losing excessive condition while not eating from holding fry. Not recommended for newb aquarists or fish with their first few spawns. Many believe should be avoidedaltogether.

'Tumbling'

The tumbling of eggs or new hatched fry is to simulate the constant movement in a holding fishs throat. When being held, eggs/fry will constantly be moved and water streamed past them through the gills. To lie stagnant generally means death to eggs and fry. However, overtumbling or rough treatment of eggs will cause damage and make the eggs inviable. DIY tumbler instructions can be found here at <a href="http://www.sydneycichlid.com./diy/diytumbler.html">Sydney Cichlid</a>.

Here's a few short ones. Will add later on.

Colony

Used to describe a group of a fish species in an aquarium

Polygamous

fish that have more than one mate at a time

Monogamous

fish that have one mate at a time (sometimes for life)

Hybrid

When a male of one species breeds with a female of another species, to create fry or vice versa.

Wrigglers

Fish that are still in the egg but heads and tail out , and still in the stages of absorbing there own egg sack.

Brackish Water

This is a zone where salt and fresh water meet. It is composed or varying amounts of salt and fresh water mixed together.

hope its right (It is now)

Hi Guys,

Just being a stickler but this statement is not correct.

Mouthbrooders

mostly african but also a few south american cichlids who incubate the eggs of young in their mouth, until they are old enough to take care of themselves. eg. electric yellows (Labidochromis caeruleus)

It should read mostly Rift lake cichlids, not Africans as many, many west African cichlids are substrate or cave spawners.

Lyndon

It probably should be IMHO

Mouthbrooders

cichlids who incubate the eggs of young in their mouth, until they are old enough to take care of themselves. eg. electric yellows (Labidochromis caeruleus)

Josh

couple more that seem to cause a bit of confusion

milking

removal of roe and milt from the belly of fish such as trout, this method is not used with cichlids.

stripping

removal of eggs or fry from the mouths of cichlids, this should only be done by experienced fish keepers and only when absolutely necessary.

Bob

German Bred

Fish imported from Germany

German Bloodline

Are the young of German bred parents (Parent?)

Anthony thumb.gif

PS: The reason i put (Parent?) is that i'm not sure if you have one German bred parent and one regular parent wether you would class the young as german blood.

Archived