Availability of Tang. Shell Dwellers

BlakeyBoyR

I was just browsing through some fish profiles and came across as few shellies I'd like a crack at breeding if they were around. I myself have never kept shellies so I'm not entirely sure of what is available, please enlighten me smile.gif Are any of the following species avaiable in NSW, and if so how much am I looking at?

Telmatochromis sp. "Temporalis Shell" (Magara)

Telmatochromis brichardi (Chituta)

Telmatochromis vittatus

Neolamprologus kungweensis

'Lamprologus` callipterus

Neolamprologus signatus

'Lamprologus' calliurus

Altolamprologus sp. "Compressiceps Shell"

I doubt many of these are in Australia at the moment but I figured if anyone would know it'd be you guys! Cheers thumb.gif

P.S. Im also trying to track down some white calvus if anyone knows who has some

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These are here:

Telmatochromis vittatus

Neolamprologus signatus

'Lamprologus' calliurus

Not sure on:

'Lamprologus` callipterus - but I think so.

and

Neolamprologus kungweensis - I dont think so.

There are a range of shellies that arent on your list: N. brevis, N. ocellatus (we have at least 4 types), N. multifasciatus (IMHO - the best of them), "N". hecqui, N. meeli and a few others which I've no doubt left off.

Thanks Yew. I know I left quite a few off but I'd like to keep shellies which I personally find aesthetically appealing. I know shellies have great personalities but given that I'd also like this tank to be something for the family to look at, the ones I've mentioned above seem to be the type that'd do the trick. If you know any breeders that might have any of those I mentioned please send me a PM. Cheers, blake.

Hi There,

There is Telmatochromis dhonti'orange' which first is a very new species.

There is also:

Lamprologus multifasciatus

Telmatochromis vittatus

Neolamprologus signatus

Lamprologus' calliurus

Lamprologus ocellatus 'blue'

Lamprologus ocellatus 'black'

Lamprologus caudopunctatus

Lamprologus ocellatus 'gold'

Lamprologus meeli

Lamprologus brevis

Neolamprologus buescheri

Neolamprologus crassus

Neolamprologus cylindricus

Neolamprologus falcicula

Neolamprologus mustax

Neolamprologus olivaceus

and N.hecqui is now Lepidiolamprologus hecqui.

All these have been around some rarer then others you will just have to look around for them.

HTH

Brett woot.gif

That list is certainly comprehensive, only N. brevis to add.

I didn't realise that a few of those were shellies though. huh.gif

ie

crassus

buescheri

mustax

cylindricus

olivaceus

thought they were more cave and rock oriented (particularly the L. brichardi complex)?

I think that multis are probably the best of the shell dwellers anyway, look great as a colony especially with plenty of sand to dig in! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Worm

Hi there,

Some aren't shellies but they will breed in the bigger shells. There was one Alto named in the first post I just put in a few extra.

By the way look closer at the list N.Brevis is there it has been reclassified to Lamprologus brevis.

Multies are great little fish.

HTH

Brett woot.gif

oops, my bad crab scratch.gif

worm

Hello All,

There seems to be a bit of confusion regarding N. meeli, L. meeli and N. hecqui.

N.meeli and L.meeli are different species. Both are available from time to time.

"N. hecqui" that are available in the hobby are N. meeli. It is unlikely that the real N. hecqui has ever been collected from the lake.

Hi akroyd,

There seems to be a bit of confusion regarding N. meeli, L. meeli and N. hecqui.

There should be no confusion with this fish at all. It has been reclassified from Neolamprologus to Lamprologus meeli. It was around along time ago in Oz it is rare or possibly lost to our hobby.

"N. hecqui" that are available in the hobby are N. meeli. It is unlikely that the real N. hecqui has ever been collected from the lake.

This quote is very wrong. There was Neolamprologus hecqui and it has been reclassified to Lepidiolamprologus hecqui the ones going around at the moment are from Ndole Bay from Zambia.

HTH

Brett woot.gif

I was a bit lazy when making my point earlier.

I believe the situation is: Lepidiolamprologous meeli is a permissible import that is occasionally available;

Neolamprologous (Lamprologous) meeli is not a permissible import, but has been around for a few years and is readily available (call me);

Neolamprologous hecqui is known only from the original specimen collected from the mouth of a catfish in 1899, I think?

We have for some time confused N. meeli and N. hecqui. Though I might be wrong.

I think L meleagris - 'pearly ocellatus' is now called L stappersii. I know it has changed.

Brett

I thought it was the other way around. All the information I've read has different opinions on the current name. Can you let us know when you've confirmed?

Either way both names are commonly accepted and I can't wait for some of these little buggas to hit my tank smile.gif

Cheers

Paul

L ocellatus 'blue'

L ocellatus 'gold'

L speciosus - 'black ocellatus'

L meleagris - 'pearly ocellatus'

Another colour morph that was brought in was the "silver stream ocellatus"

Arj, if you manage to find a source of N. signatus please let me know. I've always liked the look of these fish...

It might be worth a look under "elongated ocellatus" wink.gif

Ta Mick

Hi Guys,

The pearly ocellatus were called stappersi, but then they were changed to the meleagris.

Found out these fish still called L.stappersi.

Your right Mick I have heard there is a silver stream occulatus.? Zambia or is it Zaire. Can anyone out there give us a location for this species.

HTH

Brett woot.gif

Archived