Sexing Fronts..

charlie888

Hi, I have 2 frontosa 6 bar at around 14cm. One is slightly smaller and has less nuchal hump.

Can anyone ID if it is a he or she..?

This is the picture of the smaller one:

user posted image

(note: the one in the background is the alpha male)

Cheers,

Charlie

Howdy

Well you say u have an ALPA ?

The only way to tell is to turn the fish upsidedown smile.gif

The male will have more of an oval shape anus

The female will have a rounded shape opening !!

At time even this is hard way to sex especially if ur not sure what u are looking at !!

especially if the fish are young and have never spawned !!!

Dont be fooled by the hump as i have had ...so called alpha males breed LOL

Only after they reach maturity and by doing the above examination can you really be sure ...or wait till the spawn LOL

Also another thing its not really a good idea to have just 2 fronts ..they are a Harem fish thus better to get min 6 ..this will keep agro down and ensure you have males and females .... thumb.gif

Another good way of getting more females to males ratio when young is to get the biggest most agro baby from the group and a couple of the medium and the 2 smallest ..this has always worked for me and i usually get 2m/4f this way ...

This is not science but usually works

I have in the past bought from shops the last 3-4 fronts left out of a batch they have had for a while ..due to the fact that customers nearly always take the biggest fish first ...hahah little do they know they leave the girls last !!!!!! LOL.gif

Better for me ..so usuall i buy the best 2 fish from a shop getting pick of the batch ..then i keep an eye in other shops for the last lot ......also gives a better mix in blood ...and try to get them from 2-3 different places ...

Anyway hope this helps and good luck...

looks like u might have 2 males ...but they look small and still very young can't really tell till u turn em over smile.gifthumb.gif

ooops how old are they ..they will take 2 years + to even start thinking about being mums and dads ...

mrseby, Thanks for the info.

I have 10 of them, and these 2 are the bigger ones, so I moved them to another tank, that way I can weed out the male from the female.

The biggest one has grown up nicely, and I think it is a male, with a larger nuchal hump.

However, the second biggest seems to have different body shape to the first one, which made thinking if it is a he or she.

They are around 1.5 year old.

Charlie

id agree with that , see how the back ones belly is slightly sunken at 14 cm(half grown) its a definate male. the one in the foreground has a straight belly probably female, with your smaller ones,(5-10cm) having watched mine growing up, if you look at the head from the side, the males all seem to have a tiny bump, the females have a more curved profile, and of course the males will usually be bigger at the same age-good luck

cirulis,i tend to think that boys are longer in body and girls are taller and shortened shape.im definitely no expert though my male is long and my females that held shortened lengthways and taller.im thinking you have a boy there from the length of the body there cirulis.looks like a nice fish too.

Thanks everyone,

From what you say i think the one in the front of charlies pic is a female and the one in the back is a male.

I bought mine as a male so thats what i was expecting

BTW What would a fish that size be worth....private sale not from a shop????

cheers

Cirulis,

Stunning frontosa you've got there thumb.gif . I believe the going price is around $4 percm, but depends on the quality and market demand.

All,

Thanks for the comments. I guess I don't have to sell the extra "male" anymore..? and play another waiting game whilst enjoy watching them grow..

Cheers,

Charlie

Hi charlie!!!!

Glad the info is of use!!!!!

What i would do is take the big fella out as he is prob the best in your lot ?

Then what would happen is another male will step up and take his spot !!!

then take him out also ..thus u have the best 2 males from the bunch ...

keep these 2 ...and as time goes by u will find that another male will take the alpha spot again ...sell him and keep doing this until all males are gone !!!

once this has happend u will be left with all girls !!!! out of your original 12

Next bring back your 2 original males clap.gif

This should give you a supa dupa Colonyyyyyyyyy

By the time this all happens it will be about breeding time and the 2 males will be supa horny LOL laugh.gif

Good luck

and all the best

mrseby I agree with the way you identify males coming through, and removing them to identify them all as early as possible. However I disagree with your statement that the first dominant male will be the best of the group. Chances are he just grew fastest or was biggest to start with.

interesting you would say that intotherainz, as I was buying fronty's off mrseby back around 1991. I reckon he might just know a thing or two about keeping them. all of the colonies I saw of his seemed to be great producers of fry and do very well together. I have done a similar thing with mine in the past and it also worked well for me. males can cause problems, without doubt, but that happens whether there is a bond or not. it comes down to the nature of the fish.

Archived