Fish Feeding Procedures

noyd

How would fish react to being fed on different times of the day all the time? For example feeding them one morning at 9am and then again at 5pm, the next day feeding them at 1pm and then 9pm at night, like does doing this have any effect on the fish? Could it possibly effect their appetite, and interest in food etc?

I came up with this because I noticed I have not kept a static feeding schedule, and my fish don't seem as 'interested' in the food as much as they were, I'm also aware that they can be bloat, and I am treating them.

Cheers dry.gif

I've never worried too much about feeding schedules. The fish get fed when I'm good and ready tongue.gif So far I've had no complaints mate. I'd be more concerned about what you feed them and how much as opposed to when you feed them. Just my 2 cents

I feed my fish at diferent times, I work different hours daily, or have classes at different times. My own sleeping patterns are highly irregular. However, I will only feed them during active cycles (so daylight effectively), if I leave home at 6am and dont return til after 6pm, then that day they fast laugh.gif Even if I have young fry, I haven't seen any ill effects from this.

Fish don't feed at the same time daily. Many fish don't even feed daily. They are opportunistic and will feed when the opportunity presents itself at a time when the fish is active.

Hi

i think it doesent matter when ya feed them.

The main thing is That they get fed!!!

I dont really think it effects fish if you feed at different times, some peopel are just too busy to be feeding fish at the same time.

NOYD

I have a large severum and blue acaras and feed them every two to three days. I used to feed everyday but found that it was really difficult to feed the right amount and developed algae problems occasionally. After doing some reading from various sources I have come to the conclusion that it is far better to feed less than more. My theory is that over feeding is the single biggest factor in causing excessive nutrient levels in a closed system (ie- death). With most of the more substantial fish they won't starve to death, and even if they were you would notice them losing condition before they were in mortal danger. Remember most aquarium fish or opportunistic feeders and eat as much as they can when it is available, and are adapted to the feast and famine cycle of life. I have been doing this for years and consider that I have very few losses from over feeding and most losses are through old age. (I had a golden barb that lived for 5 years on this feeding regime and he was mature when I got him)

Note: Be more cautious with particularly small fish like tetras etc.

Archived