Attention Central American Guru's

The cichlid Man

Hi all,

I need someone who is very sound with central american cichlids.

I have just received some new Herichthys.

They were imports, i have seen the invoices and know 100% that they were imported but they come in as "Texas Cichlids".

Now in australia i am only aware of the Herichthys Carpintis "Texas Cichlid".

The ones i have don't look like the known texas cichlids. I have researched into the species and i think they are Herichthys sp. "Rio salto" or Herichthys labridens.

If ID properly we could have a new genuine species of herichtys in the country.

I appreciate any help

Regards,

Ben

Ben email me pics and I will host/post for you.

I doubt very much is they were imported legally with that there name as I am pretty sure they aren't legal imports? Will check list though.

oops forgot my email johnducksbury@@hotmail.com

from memory they look very much like some fish at my mates place, the same guy who got you the pair in the bottom pics (looking good by the way) if anything he'd be the guru we're after. i will go around and have a look when i have some free time i.e. Tomorrow,when i finish my last uni assignment for the year!!

cheers mate

Best thing to do would be to get in contact with the exporter !!!!

Maybe they are just from a diff location ..mmmmmmmmm

They do look diff.....mmmm

Let me do a bit more fumbling around ...

IL BE BACK LOL clap.gif

were you thinking labridens blue? i might go for a search over jeff rapps site for a id. better still why dont you post a pic on aqua mojo , there s some very keen cichlid gurus there?

Seems it's already been done. 3 out of 4 agree that they're H. cyanoguttatus

looks like normal cyano's to me, too.

Looks like H. cyanoguttatus that I've ran across here as well.

Either cyanoguttatus or carpintis, but I'd lean more towards cyanoguttatus. That white sand may be washing out their colors...I had some carpintis that were that color with bright sand that darkened up with darker gravel...but by the time they reached that size, their spots were much larger...

how many do you have though?

Surely if it's only what's in that tank you'd be breeding them?

are they all related or wild caught?

Sorry Ben, they are nice fish and all - but i don't think these are the first cyanoguttatum in the country- nor do I think they'd be considered new. However I think due to common names, they have just been interbred with the carpinte in the past.

I am quite certain that an associate has a large male cyanoguttatum which is about 6-8 years old at least by my estimation thumb.gif

Hi Guys,

Nice fish there Ben however 20 came in about 6-8 months ago at 7 cm.

Most went interstate.

HTH

Brett

Ducksta is correct they have been here before nearly lost to the hobby and many were crossed.

Not many around ATM and you would be silly to just display them if they are correct.

I would be breeding them and getting them back into the hobby BEFORE they are lost to the hobby again.

Thats my opinion.

Brett

I agree with Brett. I would definately be breeding them as they look as pure as anything else we have here *sniggers* If you don't want them, you can PM me prices and I can make a decision as i wouldn't mind them LOL.gif

But yes, I would try to keep a good pure strain of texas around for as long as possible if I were you thumb.gif

edit: ps. Will try get a pic of the big boy I know of woot.gif He is a real bruiser too cool.gif

Mrseby

Thankyou for your information.

I have been emailing jeff rapps and he has confirmed to me that they are

Herichthys cyanoguttatum 100% and there is definetly no hybrid in them.

He also had other opinions from People overseas and they agreed. I also checked with the person who imported them and he checked with the people who exported them and they also agreed that they were Herichthys cyanoguttatum which is known in there country as the texas cichlids.

Also i took those pics 5 minutes after i put them in there new home so they were a little stressed. I will try and get some new pics.

It would be good to breed them to get the numbers back in australia.

Regards,

Ben thumb.gif

Archived