generator for hire

duck

in the apartment where i live, the building management will shut down the power for the whole building for around 10hrs on the 16 nov for some maintenance issues.

im not planning to buy one as this doesnt happen regularly, so my option would be to hire one that can supply enough power for my fish tanks. can anyone kindly point me to the right directly of where to hire this and what sort of money would i be looking at.

how long will a battery operated airpump last. if i cant hire generator this would be my only option but im not sure if it will run for 10hrs sad.gif and i cant get into the building while there is no power (total evacuation) mad.gifmad.gif

thanks

i'm pretty sure your local kennards hire or similar would either have some for hire or be able to point you in the right direction, as for battery operated pumps i have used mine for about 1 year for fishing trips and for transportation. on average i go fishing about once a month where it runs constantly to keep my live bait etc. alive so maybe around 6hours each time and i'm pretty sure that i can push that. hope that helps

the tanks are

-4x2x2 with 2 canister eheim 2215 & 2217 + 2x 300w heater housing 9 adult

discus + 11 cory

- 4' with 8 discus with homemade trickle filter + 2 sponge filters +200W heater

- 3' with 7 young discus +aquaclear 300 + 200W heater

- 2' with 4 peppermints, 4 bn 4-6cm with sponge and internal filter + 150w heater

will try to ring kennards tomorrow hope they have one suit my need ...otherwise i will have to rely on airpump although i dont like the idea of turning off all filters as i have cycle them again zipit.gif

thanks for the replies ...

Bunnngs have 750 W generators for 85 bucks at the moment. Seemed too cheap so I'd call them first. But 750W should be good for a few pumps and a few heaters.

p.s. the bacterias don't just up and die in such a short time (10hours). There will be some loss of biofilter capacity but the tank will catch up quickly once it's all started up. You may see a spike but it would be unlikely.

rang kennards today, they have 2kva small generator for $72 for 24hrs hire which according to the guy should do the job.

but if the battery operated airpump will do the job, i rather save the money on hire then get some of these pumps.

havent looked into bunnings generator though...might give them a call tmr.

cheers

The Bunnings ones are GMC brand & not bad. They're certainly no industrial job, but for a backup are ok, pretty noisy though. But they are $85, so if you're gonna hire one for $75, I personally would go the extra $10 & have a permanent back-up, IMO. That's if the battery pumps don't solve your problem. smile.gif

i prefer to keep the cost as low as possible tongue.gif rather to spend the money for more fish hehe

my only concern with airpump it can only provide oxygen and air movement. i normally keep my discus tank temp around 30c, without heater it drops to around 23-25c which is quite cold for them ... as much as possible i dont want to stress them ... wub.gif

if the gmc from bunnings will do the job ie run all the equipment for 10-12hrs, i guess i'll just have to bite the bullet and buy it. i dont care about the noise as the whole building will be evacuated..... as long as my my fish happy ....im happy

thanks for your help guys

-duck-

what I'm getting at is, if you don't check with them & keep the fuel upto it, they might turn it off & you get dead fish.

i know what you mean

but this is high rise building in cbd, they must be either spiderman to be able to climb the wall laugh.gif or they have to break through the door mad.gif

anyway, i will check with the security tomorrow, thank for reminding me thumb.gif

Ive used alot of generators in my line of work (sole power source for months on end) and i can tell you that 750 watts wont power a kettle!! For $85 it would be great to run a drill or something like that, but if you add up all the wattages of your fish tank/room needs, you will find that it wont run everything you want to run. If you want to just run air, then a large style (heaps of outlets??) air pump will run comfortably, but thats without the filters and heaters.

And i think if you run the generator on your balcony, then you shouldnt have any dramas with noise as the diesel ones they make these days are very quiet.

HTH

Alan.

We used to use 1.6kva to power a whole signal detachment (communications setup), along with cd players, t.v's ect. Yep, it will do the trick for sure, but id still be a bit weary at how many heaters you use.

Cheers, Alan.

P.s, you need a 60 kva, those bad boys can light up a small country town!!! LOL

Should do the trick no worries then.

Also, check if the gene you are going to get has a drum feed. (sucks in petrol/diesel from a bigger tank so you can leave it running for ages without having to keep topping up).

750 certainly won't run a kettle as that appliance is probably the most power consuming thing (on a short term) aside from a stove.

If you you took a long term view and planned for this sort of thing 750W would work. For example, lets say 3 X 400L tanks. Each tank would have 2X150W heaters. If the day is over 20 or you can seal the room off a bit a 150W heater will keep 400L at 27 easily (you can calculate that but they are rough as you don't know the heat loss out of the room but you can use standards). 3 X 2000 LPH pumps (consuming 45W each, from the box on front of me), takes 150W (and also adds nearly 45WPH of heat to the tank). Adding that up

450+150 = 600W

I'd say that's about right if you plan on running nothing else.

That said, the 2KVA genny would probably be better than the 85 buck GMC but rentals can be pretty badly maintained. Make sure you tell them you want to keep animals alive and not just run the hifi at a beach party.

Of course, as Alan says, a nice litlle diesel one would be great but they also tend to be bulkier. (They are also cheaper to run).

ymmv

the idea of using generator might not going ahead, i spoken to the security and he said i need a permission from building manager which i can tell you now what is his answer going to be .... NO!!! mad.gif

if thats the case i will start praying now for another hot day and use battery airpump for oxygen . . . blush.gif

Re the heating, could you use a kero heater or something to keep room temp up? If it's not a warm day, obviously.

i dont realistically think you need to worry about your tank temperature given the time of year. as long as the tanks cool down and heat up slowly the fish wont even notice it.

in my opinion an air pump is more than enough to keep the fish happy in the time that the power is out. the power filters may lose a small amount of bacteria, but that will build up again in no time. just make sure you watch your ammonia/nitrites for a couple of weeks after.

almost forgot

in addiotion to what I said, I would also not feed the fish for a couple of days before to let them purge a little. then on the day without power, cover all of your tanks with blankets to keep the light out. when the fish are "asleep" they will use much less oxygen. has worked well for me in the past

Archived