Melanochromis maingano

barramundi

G'day all. Need some info please? Scored 3x 1" juvie maingano in the raffle at my local cichlid club meeting. Have been trying to research them online but unless I learn German, (or whatever it is) there's only very sporadic info.

Can anyone help with specific dietary advice & info about best landscape/companions & whether these guys are common or not. They're currently in with 4 x 2" Yellow Labs, temporarily, with limestone rocks, coral pieces, pfs substrate & a couple of plants (Java Fern). Tanks currently a 140L long that is well overfiltered. Is waiting for a 300+ litre tank to finish cycling & they'll be transferred there.

Feed on the green side of things. Not greatly aggressive for an mbuna, especially for a Melanochromis(I guess that's all relative though), I have kept cobalts and yellows with mine, but most mbunas would be fine. They have been in Oz for a couple of years or so, and their price has more or less come down to other mbunas, so I would call them fairly common now.

Yellows are not the best companion due to their differing dietary requirements.

Craig

Thanks for that CT. I've nearly finished cycling a 4'x18"x18" so they'll get that to themselves soon. So they need more protein huh? Thanks mate!:thumb

Archived