Strange betta behaviour (with video)

ViS

I have a workmate who has a betta tank stuck to the front of his main tank.

At least a dozen times a day for up to 20 minutes at a time, it jumps out of the water and sits at the top of the tank, then slides back in after 15 - 20 minutes.

See for yourself and give me some theories why he does it:

Be warned it's 3.25MB wink.gif

Fish out of water....

Bettas have a special air passage - not sure of the correct name - that lets the breath in oxygen directly rather than throught their gils. It sorta acts like a lung.

The also like resting on things such as plants and whatever its resting on in the video. Nevertheless, unusual behaviour.

Yeah they are labrynth fish, same as gouramis.

I understand they gulp air and dissolve the oxygen through their unique system, but I haven't seen bettas "beach" themselves before, and 20 mins seems a bit excessive blink.gif

hi i cant seem to get the video to work! everytime i try to watch it it comes up with the error

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or a required codec might not be installed on your computer."

im running windows xp home edition and windows media player 9.0

help??

It's only an mpg file, so I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. Have you upgraded to XP SP2 yet? It has a few media player fixes.

Do you think that you could email it to my work email Andy? Please

Right clicking on the link and choosing "Save Target as" would achieve the same result without all the hassles. You'd just be downloading the file onto your PC via this link instead of going through your mail server to download it. unsure.gifzipit.gif

Cheers

Paul

ya its coz i dun have SP2 coz i tryd using my brothers laptop that has SP2 and it works fine. damn i think i might have to re-install it then, i thought SP2 was crap so i uninstalled it awyl ago!

thats really cool tho! i wish my bettas did something like that! how long has the fish been doing it for? i had a female before that started to constantly jump out of the water after i moved it onto another tank. maybe she didnt like the new tank water, i really dunno. but i mover her back after a couple of weeks and she stopped!

Do you think that you could email it to my work email Andy? Please

It won't allow files bigger than 1.5MB through the work email system so I won't be able to. If anyone wants it directly emailed to them, PM me with the email address.

It's apparently been doing it for a few months. Thay say it spends a couple of hours a day perched up there laugh.gif

thats so cool!!!

Maybe it just likes sitting up there??? How warm is the water? maybe closer to the fluro its warmer, almost like its basking??

Also, are there any predators or something that could be scaring it out of the water? it might be a defense mechanism.

Either way, that is pretty funny, entertaining little bugger!!

How weird ! blink.gif

Can't offer any suggestions, except maybe it is a Labyrinth fish thing, as I've had two Paradise Fish, and both of those used to jump out repeatedly as well (it was the death of the first one)

None of my Fighters have ever jumped out though.

Perhaps they naturally jump out of the water onto things and wait for predators to go away ? I've read that small carp do this with lilly pads, etc.

What's in the main tank ?

3.25MB didn't take long on a 44k dial-up connection with Getright.

Forgot to time it though blush.gif

Cool vid and interesting puzzle Andy. smile.gif

Cheers,

Andy

The tank is sitting on 26 - 27 degrees and the inhabitants are gouramis and tetras.

It's only started doing it since it was relegated to the betta tank. Before that, he was in the main tank.

We thought he might have been trying to get back into the main tank, but he seems quite content to just sit where he jumps to and then slides back in when he is ready laugh.gif

Archived