Sick Red Devil

Gcichlid

I have a mature male red devil - abt 4 years old. We had a problem during the week whn the cannister filter on his tank stopped working and we didnt find this until late in the day. His water was cloudy but he wasnt gasping at the surface etc. Did water changes, restarted the filter and added a second cannister filter, plenty of oxygen in the tank etc.

Now he swims around occasionally but increasingly is swimming upside down or on his side and spends at lot of time lying on his side behind a rock on the tank bottom. I dont think he has swim bladder disease as when he does swim he is quite bouyant and upright but he is swimming less all the time.

He's a big fish ( 30cm)and usually pretty strong. The big pleco in the same tank hasnt been affected.I've tried salt + epsom salts, more water changes but he seems to be spending more and more time laying on the bottom. He's not eating.

I'd hate to lose him as he's a real pet. Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks

Nick

oscars do this as well, theres probably been an ammonia spike so hes envoirenment has changed and hes sulking, do a 20% water change every week (make sure you use a chlorine remover)and hell come good, id go steady on the salt with the pleco in the tank, the fact that the plecos ok does seem to point to an emotional stress, mind you i dont think they have the brains to feel stress LOL.gif

Hi Nick -

No idea - sounds concerning though. These are hardy species... so I imagine there is something wrong. I have my fingers crossed that the respondants are right and it's just sulking (but this sounds unlikely to me).

You're very experienced so I am not sure what to suggest that you wouldnt already have tried. Did you check for ammonia and nitrite??

Thanks guys. I added a second cannister filter from another tank, treated the water with Ammrite and Prime ( the ammonia levels were a little high but nitrates were off the chart) and whilst he's still laying on his side on the bottom a lot of the time he's now swimming more often and is eating again.

I usually make sure that I have a second filter backing up but this time I goofed.

Lesson learned - nearly lost my favourite fish! Hopefully he'll fully recover.

Cheers

Nick

good , im pleased hes recovering, whilst yew is absolutely right in what he says, and the fact that hes very expierienced, i have found central americans especially the large ones to suffer emotional stress very easily, just a suggestion has mr bobles got a wife ?that might wake him up a bit blush.gif

Archived