My German Rams are breeding too!

Brownfish

There must be something in the water blush.gif because my German Rams laid a stack of eggs on a leaf a few days ago. I spotted them acting funny (harassing their Coryadoras sodalis friends) and sure enough, a whole heap of eggs were found on a leaf.

Fearing a repeat of last time when all my eggs disappeared over night (bloody Mystery Snails), I removed the leaf to a little 2 foot tank full of water from the main tank. I wish I had added some fungicide because I lost quite a few eggs to fungus. Mental note: next time I'm using a plain tank with no gravel or anything else. BUT tonight I spotted at least a couple of dozen little babies on the sandy bottom of the tank

I'm feeding them Vinegar Eels at the moment and hopefully that will keep them going until I can borrow some Microworms from a friend of mine.

I wouldn't be surprised if I lost a few more on the way but hey, it's all a learning experience. unsure.gif

Cheers

Richard

They won't eat until they are free swimming, so no point feeding them.

They will then need something small to eat. Infusoria is best but you might get by with microworms( they can probably eat the babies), bbs are sometimes too big.

You could try Liqiudfry type foods but I have never had much luck with these.

Good Luck

Brett

Cheer guys.

At the moment they are kind of sitting on the bottom with minimal movement. I take it that they are still living off their egg sacks. I haven't got infusioria but have got Vinegar Eels, which tend to be smaller than micro worms. Hopefully, that will do.

Should I hold off on the feeding until they are actually freely moving around?

Thanks

Richard

Yes Richard,

They are currently developing off the yoke sacs and won't be eating.

They do need to feed fairly soon after becoming free swimming though. You will know for sure when they are, they swim around like a normal fish, just very small.

Never kept vinegar worms, didn't realise they were so small.

Good Luck

Brett

If you have any java moss, put a heap of it in the tank with them. I find fry eat the tiny organisms in it and like to hide in it as well.

There are various theories on substrate for fry tanks. Bare bottom is easier to clean but gravel may provide some microorganisms for food and can make the fry feel safer. I definately recommend a sponge filter (over just an airstone) in any fry tank, it provides bio filtration and food for the fry smile.gif

Archived