Some questions about sumping tanks..

Dyce

Ok, I think I have the general jist of sumps.

Just a couple of questions, I know most people have 3 holes, 2 for the overflow and one for the return.. Is there any reason why you can't have 2?

And after looking for about an hour I could'nt find ANY pics of where people drilled, or how they stopped fish getting sucked into it?

And what would be the best way for sumping two tanks on the same sump?

Cheers, Luke.

There is a lot of ways you can run a minireef. In my experience one hole for the inlet is enough if you have a wier of not the size and amount of holes depends on the flow rate you want to achive. The return does not need a hole drilled its just a matter of running a hose from the pump to the top of the tank. I will put some photos that shows some of mine.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

The weir is the sectioned off glass box in the corner, the water flows thru the grate into the weir then down the hole, into ur sump. The water goes thru your sump and filter media and is then pumped back to main tank.

You wouldnt be able to put small fry in there if the flow is too strong.

When you set it up, u fill the sump full of water and turn the pump on, as the water level raises in the tank it falls thru the weir and into ur sump(filter) again.

Nigel responded while i was editing, on the ball mate.

KB

The weir gives you the ability to prefilter the water before it enters the sump. The inlet is made buy drilling a hole in the bottom of the tank in one corner.

The holes are done with water chuck and diamond tipped drill bit. Its easy to do if you have the drill and drill bits.

No you dont need a weir there is many ways to get the water to the sump. A weir is just two peices of glass glued into the corner of the tank around the hole. As for where you put the hole you can drill at the top of the tank in the bottom its up to you. Is this for a tank you already have or are you going to get it made?

I'm getting 2 4x15x18's second hand and a 5foot tank. none are drilled, I was probably going to get some one to drill it, so preferably as least ammount of holes as possible.

I could probably make a weir though. Doesnt look too hard.

I dunno, I just thought from pictures that the hole was at the top of the tank?

Anyways, If I loaded the weir with foam would it still pull in baby lets say bristlenose?

Thanks once again! Luke.

If you are going to get some one to drill the holes you will find they will be able to advise where to drill them. As for stopping small fish from ending up in the mini reef i have sponges in the weirs to stop that.

Archived