Bristlenose fry dying

scaley

Hi, hoping someone could shed some light on my problem.

I have a 4 foot African tank with a couple of randy BN's that have for a second time bred. I have been told that this would never happen in Malawi tank but it does.

I had about 40 of them which are about 1.5 cm long that I have transfered into a small fry container (kept in same tank)

I have been feeding them 1 Hikari algae wafer a day for a few weeks and the odd cucumber or lettuce.

I have just been away for work for 1 week and have entrusted my wife to feed them as instructed.When I returned I found 2 dead. Every day since (5 days) there has been 1 or 2 more.

Looking at them closely about 1/3 of them seem to have very large round bloated stomachs. The ones that have died also seemed to have this.

All my Malawi's are real happy with Blues and Peacocks and Salaousi's breeding at the same time. I know I should never trust my wife to feed my fish LOL.gif ...but I had to.

Anyone have any ideas? or has anyone come across this?

Would appreciate any help!

I've been breeding BN's for a few years & I have got to the point now that shortly after the fry are "released" from the cave/breeding hollow I can tell you which ones won't make it. I don't know what it is, whether they're the runts or what, but there's about 5% on average that are just not active, they hang around, not doing much, while the rest are actively foraging throughout the tank. But nothing I've done has been able to save those 5%. I've tried moving them to another matured growout tank by themselves, putting them in breeder nets, dividers, leaving them alone, the works, but without exception, I lose those 4 or 5 fish.

I don't know if that sounds familiar for you, sorry I can't say why they don't make it, other than just something flawed in them at birth or something, where they just won't forage, I don't know yet. Still researching to see if I can eliminate it, after all, that's $4 to $5 bucks I lose per batch!! dry.gif

I've heard that too. My fry remain with the parents now but I still lose those 4 or 5 fish from each batch, usually around 50. But I just figure it's the runts dropping off the edge of the batch or something. I check my water 2x per week & it's a very stable tank, so I know it's not water quality, so dunno. But the poo thing would definitely apply/explain it, if the fry are being isolated too soon.

Yeah, I'd not given it much credence till CA mentioned it. It would explain if the deaths happened post the fry being isolated. My experience has been you'll always lose a couple. I find BN's really forgiving though. Very hardy.

My BN Factory is `200L Aqua One AR series. As well as the inbuilt filter I have a largish internal power filter connect to a undergravel water flow system I made & a powerhead. Keeps a good current flowing in an attempt to keep all that poo moving to the filter intake! My pair have it to themselves & yeah there's a big piece of bogwood in there! smile.gif

Thanks for the response guys.

I have just put some wood in Yesterday and they seem to love it.

The deaths have almost come to a stop.

However when removing a rock yesterday I found about another 40 fry.

I have now put them in the same tank as the others.

I have a feeling they were overfeeding on the algae wafers.

Is cucumber o.k. to feed them? I always see a mention of Zucchini but not cucumber.

I'm not sure about cucumber myself, but I also use the stalk from broccoli. Soften it in the microwave & cool it down then drop it in, they love it. I also give them a cooked carrot once a fortnight which they relish & gives them good colour.

Archived