Here's my planted tank

Chilli Powder

well... here's the final result. I have 5 NEC tri-phosphor tubes running at the moment. Two internal and one Fluval 304. I have ordered some Tunze regulator and reactor and will be getting a 150W metal hallide with two 10000K lights.

See the beginning here

Here are the photos of the tank now. The plants are growing very quickly and I'm afraid that I'm going to have to trim them every week! laugh.gif: Sorry for all the pics

I'm getting about 20 cardinal tetras! can't wait.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

I'm getting about 20 cardinal tetras! can't wait.

With those [what looks like] decent-sized Angels in there ?

Isn't that a recipe for disaster (or at least cardinal sushi ?)

Very nice looking setup though thumb.gif Nice variety of plants.

What size is the tank ?

Cheers,

Andy

Those angels came from a 6ft display with what seemed as millions of cardinals.  laugh.gif They did alright and the angels never bothered them. I'm hoping the trend will continue.

How could you tell if they were disappearing then ? huh.giflaugh.gif

Good luck with it anyway thumb.gifwink.gifsmile.gif

Andy.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nice tank Arj. thumb.gif

Is that the one for your dad? clap.gif You're a very very good son! (as opposed to a very very bad man - seinfeld)

Can't see the driftwood though - is that the same tank you we're referring to on your forum?

Cheers

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Agree, nice tank Arj...

Without wanting to be a spoiler, just a couple of cautions though (hope they're not coming to late):

The colour temperature of 10000K (peaking in the blue part of the spectrum) may cause you a bit of grief. Aquatic plants have very little use for blue light, preferring the red part of the spectrum (around 5000K). Algae can use the entire spectrum, so with 10000K you'll be giving them the edge. 10000K lights are really meant for marine reefs.

My advise would be to stick with 2 of the triphosphors (which give nice white broad-spectrum light for viewing) and replace the 3 others with Growlite tubes that peak at 5200K. I had very good results with this kind of setup on my 4x2x2 (in fact I had only 2 tubes of each).

If you've already bought the metal-halides you may as well use them (but with 5000-6000K lights), but they're really only essential if your water is 60cm+ deep. Also, since you are going to pour a whole lot more light into your tank soon, the CO2 supply will become very important as the plants demand increases. As mentioned, algae will use that extra light just as effectively, and as they get their CO2 from calcium carbonate (CaCO3) in the water (which most plants can't) you'd be giving them another edge unless your CO2 supply is adequate.

And for what's it's worth, weekly trimming of a heavily planted tank is the norm, and part of the enjoyment smile.gif Have Fun!

DBE

• 1 month later...

Archived