Levamisole for Camallanus worms

Shell

Ok, so I have just found out that a lot of my fish have Camallanus worms (no they did not originate from a Camel's bum laugh.gif ) and I need to get some Levamisole to treat them. Has anyone in canberra had to get some of this stuff and if so, where did you get it from? Or has anyone else ever had to get rid of these horrid little red thread-like worms from their fish's bums and done it a better way? I think I will have to go to Powells on the way home.

I know of someone who succesfully used a bird wormer on fish (betta) with Camallanus (overnight results with no side effects ohmy.gif ), from memory it was used @ 1 drop per litre. Bird wormers containing Levamisole are readily available from pet shops. Good luck!

Brett

I recommend praziquantel. It's a specific wormicide and quite convenient.

See here:

thread 1

A bad story but usefull information. I have accidentally overdosed prazi a tank with clown loaches 4X and they never missed a beat. Believe me, overdosing with medications is something I never *ever* want to do. I was intending to dose at half but there was something else going on when I was calculating the dose. (I immediatly did a 25% water change). The clown loaches did not seem to notice a thing. Over the next day the worms were pouring out of the cichlids. I have never seen a worm since. A couple of the fish that seemed to be stunted grew to about twice the size in the last few months.

yep - bird wormers usually have levamisole in them. Treatment for Camallanus should be about 2mg levamisole per litre of water.

Praziquantel would not be my recommended medication for the treatment of intestinal nematodes. I would go with Levamisole. By the way im moving this topic to the technical thread so that other people can see it. They may be interested. I will leave a link in ACT forum.

Cheers

WW

BTW - if you wanted a more pure source of levamisole you would need to see a vet. Bird and fish medications can contain levamisole (they are excluded from prescription) but can only contain a max of 10mg/levamisole per tablet, bottle, dose, etc. Levamisole used on humans or in dog heart worming tablets (higher doses) require a prescription.

Cheers

WW

If you really want levamisole you can buy it in oral wormer from Petalia. They will send it mail order as it's not a regulated chemical. (I have spoken to them in the past, they do answer email quickly as well).

petalia

Composition: Levamisole hydrochloride 32 g/L.

Both the praziquantel and levamisole are specific anthelmintics and pretty safe to use. Certainly more so than the organophosphate based treatements (such as para-ex).

Hi guys,

Praziquantel is NOT effective against nematodes. It only has effects on trematodes and cestodes.

Levamisole is available from rural or farm supply stores (see your yellow pages).. It is sold as Coopers Nilverm, or Sykes Big L.. The dose rate if using those products is 1ml / 7 litres... I would hazard a guess that buying it from a rural supply store is going to be MUCH cheaper than getting it from a vet!

HTH

Vincent

Im with Mtchye - save the praziQ for skin and gill flukes! wink.gif Levamisole is the way to go - there are two other drugs i could recomend, but levamisole is by far the safest choice. Good thinking about getting it from an Ag supplier. Smile nicely and you might get a free sample??? You wont need too much. rolleyes.gif

Ah its really darn cheap from the ag supplier anyway... I use it during the quarantine process for most of my fish, especially ones from asia, where they seem to have a lot of nematodes just hangin around those raisin ponds tongue.gif

I can't remember but a 500ml bottle would be less than $20 I reckon.. maybe even much less than that. It lasts for ages and is very effective and specific... also very non toxic.. I guess its one of those things I'll always have on hand, along with praziquantel...

Prazi isn't cheap tho.. Anyone know a cheap bulk source for that??

Well I hope I now have it sorted out.

After lots of good advcie and internet reading, I went to one of our pet shops and bought a bottle of bird wormer. It has 10mg/mL Levamisole hydrochloride (eq. to 8.48mg/mL levamisole) and 2mg/mL Praziquantel. So I figured that should get rid of all worms my fish may have. So on Willy Wombat's advice of 2mg Levamisole/L I dosed all my tanks last night. As it is a fairly clear syrup it did not change the look of the water at all, unlike some experiences I have been told about the mess that the tablets/powders make. Everyone looked happy this morning and even the catfish, loaches and tetras were fine. So fingers crossed that I should see all the worms disappear over the next day or so. I am going to leave it in the tanks until tomorrow night (48 hours) and will then do a big water change in all of them while syphoning off as much gravel as I can. Will let you know how it goes.

AAAARRGG! Now all my tanks are cloudy and covered in slime. My poor fish were all gasping at the surface last night so I did some pretty drastic water changes and threw in an air stone. Just the same this morning so more water changes. Is this normal??? I think I am going to have to do a full change and clean out tonight and then slap on the UV steriliser I have had sitting in the cupborad ready to attach. The slime is disgusting and smells bad too. Oh, and the worms are still there in some of the fish bums......but hopefully are dead or dying.

Sorry to hear about your slime problem Michelle. Can you describe it a bit better for me please. Is it an algae (brown or green) or is like a mucous. Is it on the sides of the tank or is it sticking to the fish. How many hours after adding the chemicals did the slime appear?

What sort of a filter are you running on the tank? How cloudy is the water?

How many litres of water is the tank and how much of the bird wormer did you add to the water?

I hope they all pull through OK. If you give me the details i will do my best to help you.

The krib link I posted does mention that the water can go cloudy white.

(They did not mention the fish looking very sick though).

They did say they did a 60% water change at that time.

I had a nematode outbreak in some Viejitta's afew months ago. I got a bottle

of Levamisol,  (Tramisol), in the form of sheep dewormers. These pills are

huge. What I did was took 5 oblets,, ground them up, mixed them with some

tank water, removed the carbon, and dumped them in the tank. The water went

milky cloudy, but the fish didn't seem to mind. By the next morning the tank

had cleared. I left this dosage in for another day. The next morning the

tank was so cloudy I couldn't even see the fish. I then did a 60% water

change on the tank and put back in carbon. The fish were totally cured, and

havn't had any probs with nematodes since. These fish are still alive and

doing great. They have even spawned.

Thanks for your concern Steve.

The tank in mention is a 215L 2 foot cube tank that is filtered with a Fluval 304. It is kept at 28 degrees and has discus, dwarf cichlids and peppermint catfish in it. The A. Cacuatiodes are the ones that I could see the worms in. But treated all the tanks to be safe. I added 40 mL of the bird wormer (10mg/mL Levamisole hydrochloride (eq. to 8.48mg/mL levamisole) and 2mg/mL Praziquantel) on Tuesday night. The water did not change at all and looked fine. Last night (Thursday) when I got home from work the water was very milky in colour and was full of very slimy globules. I could remove some of it with a net but not all. The water gardens and rocks were covered in it but it was easy to remove them and wash it off. The walls of the tank are very slimy too so I cleaned it off with my magnetic cleaner. I did a big vacuum and changed about 100L. I had to use warm water from the tap to get the water up to temperatute quickly as I was desperate and the fish were all gasping at the surface of the water. Or I also added water that I boiled in the kettle and then added to the aged cold water. I am going to Bunnings now to buy a larger container to age lots of water in as my 40L one won't cut it anymore.

My 4 foot tank I added the bird wormer to on Wednesday night so I am assuming it will be the same tonight and am prpearing for a big night in of water changes....sounds like fun hey. Better stock up the brandy and wine I think I am going to need it.

p.s. if you are going to bunnings also have a look at those nylex wheely garbage bins. They are quite pricey but they are very solid. I got a 120L one and it's a very handy size as it's tall and only about 50cm square.

edit: added wheely

It will be interesting to see if the 4 foot tank goes funny tonight Michelle. Let us know.

I wouldnt recomend using wine or brandy as a fish medication laugh.gifLOL.gif (but on you im sure it will do fine)

best of luck with it. thumb.gif

Filtration on that tank sounds fine. You might need to talk to rosco to see if it is the same kind of cloudyness that he was experiencing.

OMG! I went to Bunnings and bought a 120L wheelie container that is great. came home to do a water change and saw the sickest sight I have ever seen. My 4 foot tank was so cloudy I could no see an inch into it. The only thing I could see was large dead angels on the bottom of the tank. I burst into tears...tried to ring Colin as I knew he was home today and in the same suburb (but he was either on the internet or on the phone to his girlfriend as he was engaged for a while). So I fished out any survivors I could and put them into the 120L bucket with some fresh warmed water and crossed my fingers. The discus tank was not as bad but still not good. So I have been at home all day today and have completely emptied both tanks and have now just rehomed all the fish back to their tanks. It was so bad I felt sick, and am now quite drunk as Wendy came over with some consoling alcohol to help cheer me up. I will have to check this for typos I think as I am quite thick fingeerd now. I expect lots of hugs and support at the next CDAS meeting. cry2.gifcry2.gif

Ah - that really sucks.

Chalk me down for not using bird medication in fish tanks from this day forward!

Deepest sympathys go out to you sadsmiley02.gifsadsmiley02.gifsadsmiley02.gif

based on the info you have given us im almost certain that you did not overdose the tank with levamisole or praziQ. So im thinking it must be something else in the bird treatment that caused the problem.

Can you PM me the details of the brand of bird wormer you used.

Does it list any other ingredients on the bottle? It would be nice to get to the bottom of it.

Cheers

WW

Ok, I have now pulled myself together and think I know what the problem was. The deaths only occured in my 4 foot tank that was currently also being treated for black hair algae. I had also treated the tank with a regular fish wormer a week ago and thought I had done enough water changes to get rid of the residue but maybe I didn't. I think it must have been the combination of the bird wormer, residual fish wormer and the algae treatment. There were no deaths in the discus tank it just went very cloudy too, just not as bad as the 4 footer did. If there are any worms left after all that I will be mighty angry mad.gif (pity I can't used the words I really want to but may upset the forum masters). wink.gif

So from this I have now learned three valuable lessons.

1. Do not feed live black worms.

2. Do not mix medications or overdose.

3. Quarantine all new fish for at least 3 weeks.

yeah, yeah, I know I should have already been doing all this, but I did tend to get a bit sloppy at times and have now paid the price...well my fish did anyway.

Michelle,

Sorry to hear about your losses sadsmiley02.gif I know how you feel I did something simliar. I overdosed the tank with dechlorinater and wiped out the tank in less than 24 hours

Quarantine all new fish for at least 3 weeks.

Quarantine tanks are the way to go, I use a standard 2' footer for that job. I leave then in there for 4 weeks before I move then to my other tanks. I have 4 electric whites (supposed to be yellows dry.gif ) in that tank to continue circulating the tank. I then medicate that tank if necessary based on the fishes health when they come into the tank.

Anyway hindsight is always 20/20 so best of luck fixing your cloudy tanks and brandy wine fixes all thumb.gif

cheers

Rosco

Hi Rosco.

Yeah I have a tall 2 foot tank for quarantine but sometimes I only left fish in there for 1 week as I was always keen to get more fish so kept the fish moving from tank to tank. Although now that I am pretty much fully stocked in both tanks (apart from the lack of angels now) I suspect I will not be buying many more new fish for a while (Susan's will have to lay off some staff now) wink.gif .. I think I may have introduced the worms with the live black worms so they are now off the menu too. Shame, as the fish really loved them.

Archived