C.Moorii sexing?

cirulis

Hi,

My Cyrtocara moori have been showing some strange behaviour lately. Whenever i do a water change they start trying to beed (the whole shivering thing in circles). However no eggs are ever laid. They are about 2 years old. I was wondering if possibly they could both be males? Here are two pics, the top one is of the suspected female. Any ideas/opinions???

cheers

Female??

user posted image

Male??

user posted image

Vent sexing is the best way - if the male is courting the female then u probably have a pair.

Females mature and breed when they get to about 6 inch size - when they start breeding there is no stopping them.

They both look like girls to me woot.gifwoot.gif

I once had a group of 8 (all females unbeknowns to me) and wondered why they wouldn't spawn. They were only about 4" and used to shimmy with each other all the time. Eventually they did have a mouthful ........... with my yellows wub.gif

My point being if you don't have a male in there, life dictates that eventually they will breed with whatever is available.

Anyway, my vote goes to 2 females. smile.gif

I agree with Jim...vent sexing is the surest way to determine the sexes. The first one looks like a female but the second one I am not so sure about. Upon saying that, I have a female that looks very similar with the "more pronounced than you'd expect" hump laugh.gif

merjo smile.gif

Thanks for the comments everyone. the fish in the second pic seems to be the most keen on breeding, ie displaying to the other all the time. Is this typical male behaviour or do females do it aswell??

thanks

Oh and is there any articles people know of on the net on how to vent sex??

Archived