wormy fish bottoms

Shell

Some of my fish have lots of small red hairlike worms hanging out from their bums. I assume that they have contracted a worm infestation from the live black worms that I regularly feed them. It is a real shame as I really want to keep feeding them live worms as they love them so much and must be so good for them too. So my questions are:

what sort of worms are these likely to be,

do they need to be treated to go away,

will they spread to other fish who are not affected,

what is the best thing to treat them with and

how can I keep feeding live food and not give my fish intestinal worms?

Cammallanus worm infestation. It is a nasty parasite and spreads quickly from tank to tank.

Prefered method of treatment would be using levamisol or panacur.

Levamisol dosage at 2mg/L. Treat as a bath for 24hours. Repeat if necessary.

Hi Miscus -

I agree with Kev on this one - these are not nice parasites.

re: blackworms - I really wouldnt recommend any live worms (though balckworms are normally better than tubi's). All are prone to this problem - and there are other foods that are better and safer.

What fish are we talking about??

Does anyone know the dosage rates for the panacur have some panacur 25,I have used before but used it in a food mix seems to have worked . lost alot of fish in my display tank before it seemed to have killed it off. only problem was it made a mess of the tank.

Camallanus worms are treated easily using Big L wormer from the stock feed shop at a rate of 1ml to 7L (alternately other pig and poultry wormers, eg. Drontal, Nilverm work at the same dose rate)

merjo smile.gif

Oh crap. I was hoping that the praze...?? worm tablets I bought from the LFS would do the trick, but sounds like it won't. The fish I have noticed affected are my A. cacatuoides, mollies, Angels and a Betta (all in different tanks). Looks like I had better get down to the stockfeed place at lunchtime today. I just hope my discus don't get it or are not affected by the medication. Will be really peeved if I lose them. Any further advice would be greatly appreciated.

Archived