E Yellow holding

catcher

Hi all,

I have a yellow that has already spat about 7 fry yesterday. Her mouth still looks quite extended so I'm assuming that there may be one or two still in there with their feet against her mouth saying no-way I'm leaving!

The problem is that this female had a bashing quite some time ago and her mouth is a little mis-shaped, is it possible that fry could get large enough to be caught and not able to be spat?

If so, what happens next?

cheers

glenn

Mbuna can take a few days to release the fry....they could be said to train the fry. This can happen over a few days or a couple-o-weeks and will go from chasing everyone else away from the designated release-point to quietly hanging around a rock on their own(twiddling thumbs and whistleing all innocent like). I would not worry just yet as the growth of any remaining fry will be compensated by the space created by the partial release.

Just keep an eye on her for a few more days and if worse comes to worst you can strip her or get some help and remove any debri carefully...I say get some help because this can get pretty dangerous for the fish if you have to use tweezers to remove an obstruction, even more so in a E.yellow as their mouths are small to begin with meaning an extra hand to hold the fish is very nice.

HTH

Its quite likely she could hold onto some for longer. I have Saulosi that release and then take them back in for a couple of days. Sometimes takes 3-4 days from first release of a couple to letting them all go. Let her do it in her own time.

Archived