Peppermint Cats

Cory Girl

How will peppermint catfish go up in north QLD?

We are moving up to Cairns early next year and are just wondering how they"ll go breeding wise.

Also what would be the best way of getting fish up there? We are leaning towards flying them up there. We are sending 2 tanks up there next month, what is the best way to mature the tanks(4x2x2 & a 2ft just for starters).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. smile.gif

Cory Girl

Hi Cory Girl,

A fairly diverse set of questions there, and possibly why you didn't receive a response smile.gif

What do you mean when you say "how will they go up north QLD?" are you looking to keep them in an unheated tank? I'd recommend they'll go fine as long as they're kept according to their recommended parameters.

How they'll go breeding wise is a difficult one to answer, I haven't bred them before but suggest that you research the fish and ensure that all it's needs are met - water parameters, food, breeding site, etc. Try searching on the web and learn more about it's requirements.

Best way of the getting fish up there is entirely up to you - put them in a bag (more oxygen than water - just like the shops). They'd survive going up in a car as long as you put them in an insulated container (I use a small esky).

There's a few ways to mature the tanks. I usually "seed" the filter with some media from an established tank, if the established tank has an undergravel filter, you could grab some gravel and seed the tank with that. I also let a cheap goldfish swim in the tank for a few weeks to get the tank established...others have different meathods.

HTH

Richard

Archived