Complaining about other members

Cichlids_au

Hi gang

One of our members has had a deal go wrong recently and he then placed a complaint about this person in open forum.

This is not acceptable at all. The correct course of action if to make a formal complaint to the Admins so that we can deal with these issues.

Complaining in open forum will only result in a sledge war and then everyone gets in trouble.

I have dealt with the person concerned because this was not the first complaint we have received on this person.

So remember! If you have problems with your deals with another member, let us know about it. I assure you all that several formal complaints will be acted on.

Please play nice. wink.gif

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This problem seems to happen quite frequently both in the hobby and the industry in general. I understand that we dont want a sledging war on the forum and there is the problem of libel. I still think that people should be made aware of unscrupulous sellers and traders that want to take your money and give you nothing in return. There must be a way of doing this in open forum but still keeping it within the law. Maybe a new forum called The Name and Shame forum once a post goes up its locked so there can be no replys but still there for all to see. Just my 2c worth.

People should be entitled to comment on the deal they received. The reason I was interested in the original thread was that it made plain to me who I shouldn't be dealing with when purchasing fish from the forum. I think that is useful

Ebay use a feedback/comments forum where people comment on the deal they received - whether good or bad. There is no reason why the same system cannot apply here. In may ways, I think there is an obligation on the administrators to alert users to unscrupulous dealers on the forum. At present there seems to be a "hush-hush" attitude.

David

PS As a practising barrister I think the concerns about defamation are way over-rated. How anyone thinks they could be defamed for selling someone a dud fish is beyond me. The golden rule is be thoughtful, measured and factually correct in your comments.

The problem almost never arises from the initial "this is how my deal went" post - the problem generally arises in the poop-fight that follows. Where you get comments like "yea he is a ****" or "XXX told me that YYY did that also" etc etc...

Personally I would love to see some kind of dealer rating but it would be too hard to manage on such a forum, and too easy to abuse. Remember that a member who has one bad dealing may have 100 good ones before and 10000 good ones after but the only person who will feel the urge to comment is the ONE out of 10000 who got dudded.

Perhaps the rating system could be voluntary. Those users who are ok with having people they deal with leave them feedback could sign up, those who dont are entitled to have no part of it.

This is not to say of course that the people who do not sign up arent "good" to deal with, all it means is that maybe those who choose to sign up are afforded a little more trust by other users and the person they are dealing with can take some solace from the fact that this person has made the conscious decision to be judged by their peers. Just my 2 cents

How about a positive only feedback section? That way people can look to see if the person has good feedback or none. Then make up their own opinion on what none means.

Something like: I got some great geophagus altifrons from nogo4u recently. If anyone has any interested in G. species these fish are probably the best condition fish I have ever bought. (p.s. that's a factual comment, they are).

What is the point of that then? It is brown nosing for the sake of brown nosing and there would be no REAL information given. For example I make 15 deals, 10 go bad, but people look and say "Hey that Ducksta guy has 5 good comments"

ps. This is not a factual comment, I never made 15 deals unsure.gif

If you have 5 good deals at least you are not a serial ripoff artist. The other thing is the period of the comments. If people have a few good comments over a long period of time it's quite valuable information. I don't now I'd go as far as saying good comments are brown nosing but maybe I look at things in an over positive light. (hmm, unlikely considering what a grumpy old coot I am laugh.gif ).

That's just my experience on ebay. It's much harder to get positive feedback than negative.

What is the point of that then? It is brown nosing for the sake of brown nosing and there would be no REAL information given. For example I make 15 deals, 10 go bad, but people look and say "Hey that Ducksta guy has 5 good comments"

ps. This is not a factual comment, I never made 15 deals unsure.gif

Agreed, IMO we're too pc about some things. If someone does the wrong thing by others then I believe there's nothing wrong with raising that, albeit in the right place. IMO the supplier rating forum like ebay use would be good. Most fisho's I've found have a pretty solid culture of openness & honesty so if someone gets an unfair bad rating & others of us have had dealings with the same person & found them to be great, we can chime in with positives. That way you can make a fair assesment if you're thinking of dealing with one of the suppliers here for the first time.

Being in Perth, to get decent fish I almost always have to look at importing from the east, & I have been badly burnt, (like bags of dead fish burnt:angry), so I'd really appreciate the ability to know abit about who I'm going to deal with. I believe it'd be a really valuable service this forum could provide to it's users. thumb.gif

Man this forums active, 3 replies came up in the time I was writing mine!

IMO we're too pc about some things

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to PC I reckon. if someone is doing dodgy dealings it should be exposed for all to see, not just covered up and kept hush hush. there is nothing worse than dealing with someone that is far from honest, then finding out the hard way that they were not to be trusted. its even worse when others all had the same story, but got caught for the same reason..... they hadn't been told. I say long live the opportunity for those that cop a raw deal to speak their mind.

Most fisho's I've found have a pretty solid culture of openness & honesty so if someone gets an unfair bad rating & others of us have had dealings with the same person & found them to be great, we can chime in with positives

again this is very true. you of course get people who will just defend thier dodgy mates, but realistically anyone who is genuine will never have troubles with a bad reputation.

Just make a sticky thread labelled: Known bad traders..

It works in other forums and should be ok here..

You can also make trader ratings for members kind of like an ebay system so people can make an informed descision before buying/trading with you.. thumb.gif

Agreed, IMO we're too pc about some things. If someone does the wrong thing by others then I believe there's nothing wrong with raising that, albeit in the right place.

Agreed. this is a fish forum, not a gentlemans club.

We should be able to flame someone for being dodgy. we should be able to have open debate about issues without our threads being deleted.

it's like you have to triple-check every post you make so that you don't get in trouble.

this is the internet goddamnit, not a bloody grammar school.

Grace

My guess is nobody who is argueing we should be able to "flame" a business/individual to our hearts content over a deal gone sour has ever been investigated in litagation relating to comments made on open forums... Thats just my guess though...

And why? Because you all have great administrators covering your tracks and removing offending posts before too much damage is done.

I agree with the way things should be, but they aren't...

ps. on the topic of this forum being busy, I would say posting activity is currently in a lull myself, given the activity of the last 2 years, but when a worthwhile debate comes up, we all rear our ugly heads again woot.gif

if a deal went bad, just try talking with that person first then if he doesent listen tell da mods or admins!! smile.gif

putting them up on the forum is a bad idea because maybe a deal went bad for us with that person but for alot more people maybe the deal was good with that person?

just my 2cents worth smile.gif

sorry ducky, but I listen to this comment for one reason. as a barrister he most likely knows what he is on about.

As a practising barrister I think the concerns about defamation are way over-rated. How anyone thinks they could be defamed for selling someone a dud fish is beyond me. The golden rule is be thoughtful, measured and factually correct in your comments.

the important bit is the last sentence.......... if you follow that I can't see how anyone can have concerns.

Refer to my first post:

The problem almost never arises from the initial "this is how my deal went" post - the problem generally arises in the poop-fight that follows. Where you get comments like "yea he is a ****" or "XXX told me that YYY did that also" etc etc...

Once that first post is made, it opens the floodgates for alot of hearsay and factless dribble, and that is how I have personally seen great sites go under and their members and staff be taken to the cleaners. This is why I became active on the SCP, the aggressive fish forums I frequented had massive legal problems and I resorted to this place, and then ended up being corrupted and getting Africans...

Gav if it makes my opinion any more valid, I did very well in HSC legal studies, and was also lead counsel in our school's Mock-Trial team thumb.gif

hahaha you are a twit mate. of course that makes you opinion much more informed and valid tongue.gif. how could I have ever doubted you for a moment? LOL.gif

I know what you are saying, its hearsay and dribble that causes the problem. thats why foai said

The golden rule is be thoughtful, measured and factually correct in your comments.

if we can all do that then there is no real room for problems smile.gif

Archived