Fish Id - Aequidens Pulcher OR

scb

They do look like White Saum GT's IMO. However, they don't look in great shape? Just my opinion. The don't look all that much like pulcher to me. However, having said that I am sceptical about the whole set of acara, and it is easy for crosses to pass as any of the species. My advice is to only consider such fish from very reputable sources, and make sure you have a look at the parents thumb.gif

That is a tough one, from the gills back it looks like a Aequidens Rivelatus (Gold Saum) but the head doesnt look right.

Anthony blink.gif

Sorry about the poor quality, I haven't quite mastered the art of fish photography; but this is what I feel good GT's should look like. These fish are only very small in these pics, and they are still far from adult size now, but they are breeding and in good condition. So you should get an idea of the shape and markings your fish should have thumb.gif

Male

user posted image

Female

user posted image

Hi Guys,

thanks for the replies, I have updated the pictures to a little more focused shots.

these are young fish - less than a year - just pushing 2 inches.

Ducksta - they are healthy fish - very active and eating well - I am pretty sure they are in good condition - the aquarium is kept with much TLC - water quality - cleanliness etc, I am expecting them to improve in color as they grow a little more...

Maybe the newer photos give a better picture - if you don't think their condition still looks good still after seeing the new photos - any clues on how I can improve their environment/condition would be happily heard ?

Regards

Baz

I agree with Anthony regarding the head shape. GT's, even as juvies, seem to have pointed shaped heads (similar to a texas) as apposed to more blunt shaped heads on blue acaras (more like a dempsey)

Ps - an after thought - I am not terribly enthused about the idea of raising hybrids - if the general opinion is Hybrid - what is the standard procedure for returning fish - do fish stores take them back ?

I was always planning to remove two of the GT's when a couple paired off - but would the fact that the fish are hybrids, constitute a reason to give them back ? (Not for a refund or anything - I just don't have another tank to keep them in and I do want a breeding pair but not if they are hybrids)

And if this is the case - could anyone recommend a species of cichlids (I guess south american) which a breeding pair would interact well in a 6ft tank with a single Tiger Oscar ?

ta

baz

I didn't comment on your fishes condition to suggest anything sinister, as it is always hard to gauge with new purchases (stress, etc): Hmmm, to explain it now... blink.gif Your fish look a bit ragged (is the best word I can think of?) Too skinny, and the shape looks a bit too elongate? This was my opinion from pics GT2 and GT1, but GT1 in particular.

Pic GT4 looks like a much nicer/healthier fish IMO

How many do you have in total as I can see there is at least 2, but I think I can spot enough differences in the pics for for a guess at 4 individuals maybe?

ps. also earlier I meant to say yours looked like GOLD not white saum juvies. Mine looks like white saum woot.gif

Not sure on returns policy, probably depends on the stores individual policy. Some stores will not accept fish from the general public, even for free, if they have been burned by disease or whatever in the past.

As for labelling them definate hybrids or definate species. That is always going to be a really tough call, and I don't think anybody will make such a judgement and bet their life on it based on photo's seen on a computer screen. Unfortunately the only way to find out for sure would be to try and key them out, or to have an autopsy done with all the trimmings, but that is usually fatal zipit.gif .

And therein lies another problem, as I have been led to believe by educated people in the know that the acara's, even as pure wild caught fish are mislabelled by the aquarium hobby, so you may end up keying them out to the wrong species card anyway. Apparently the true A rivulatus is no longer in the hobby, and only made a very fleeting appearence way back when, and what we have has only been described as A sp. "White Saum" and A sp. "Gold Saum". So who knows? I keep mine as "Green Terror White Saum" and don't tack a scientific name to them for the hell of it.

So much confusion, but so worth it!

Hi There,

Yep, spot on, there are four. Two of them are slighty more agressive and they tend to dominate the other two. They sleep close to one another and only show agressive behaviour when food is dropped in having said that, the two smaller ones do get food. I figure they will be ok in there together for another three months or so. None have ever suffered from any diseases. If two don't form a pair - I will consider a different species for the tank.

Are there any african cichlids (possible the forest jewel) that would be appropriate with the tiger oscar - has anyone had success with that combo ? I am thinking a Tigar and Pair of Red Forest Jewels could make an interesting look ?

Thanks Again

baz

Archived