acei msuli point common behaviour

trent

hey everyone a few months ago i bouhgt a colony of acei msuli point and tanzania they are in separate tanks for breeding purposes but are running at the exact same parameters both are not breeding i wish i couod get them too anyone got suggestions to what they like etc but the tanzania swim around happily while msuli point are very timid dont really swim much hide in their poys

Hi Trent,

I have found the msulu's quite timid as well and easily spooked. They have come good however after adding additional rock work and large shells where they can duck for cover when needed. You mayt also want to put something else in the tank with them to give them courage -I have Syn. multipunctatus never giving them a moments peace.

My males are now 15cm in length and spectacular and doing their job well with each female mouthful producing over 100 fry. Too well actually dry.gifdry.gif

Additional cover maybe all that is needed but have a look at the tank placement, passing traffic, near stereo speakers etc if as you say the water parameters and tank dynamics are spot on.

Cheers

Aline

I totally agree with Aline.

Can ya tell us a little bit more about the size of the tank, where it is located & what decore you have in the tank?

Placement of the tank could well be one of the biggest factors in flighty fish. In my fish-room for example, the Msuli's and the Fossi's(who share a tank) become a bit flighty when I have the door open and the light shows up the room to them more.

HTH

thanks for the feedabvck they are in my garage with all my other fish nothng really to spoook them as cars are rarely in the garage will try by adding more rockwork at them moment there are about 6 large pots what is something that can be added to them without chance of crossbreeding

Maybe a nice Branch/Tree-root for the acei, as they like the algae that grows on wood, mixed with some pots or rocks.

Electric yellows would look good and I doubt they would cross...Ps.flavus, C.afra(Cobwe), might be easier for you to say waht you wanna put with em and see what people have experienced with that mix.

HTH

Tannic acids do acidify water, but it is really quite a slow process. If you have the tank buffered with carbonates (shellgrit, marble, coral whatever) there is not likely to be any effect on the water from the wood, except for discolouration. That is if the wood id aged properly, waterlogged etc etc.

Archived