cacatu carnage

jase101

hi evryone -

well, i was oh so happy to have my two female cacs both lay eggs two days ago, but last night i watched in horror as the male pushed a small rock out of the way and demolished a whole batch. the female went ballistic, but as she's only a third his size, she didn't have much of a chance...

now, these eggs were white, whereas the other batch (which i can't see as well,) i think are more a fleshy colour, and he hasn't touched these ones, even though he could. were the white ones infertile, and may that have prompted the carnage?

thanks for your advice,

justin

Hi Justin.

If the eggs were white it means that they were dead and starting to get fungal. So he was doing the other eggs in the tank a favour. The eggs should look sort of a clearish grey colour and after a few days you will be able to see the dark fry in them. The parents should remove any white eggs to prevent them from contaminating and killing the healthy ones. Good luck with them. Mine have fry at the moment again so I am very happy. I didn't even realise that they had eggs.

Egg colour can vary quite a bit. I think I read it can depend on diet. My last batch that became free swimming on Tuesday I could see the eggs clearly the whole time, I even watched them being laid smile.gif. They where a peachy, fleshy colour. They can apparently also be closer to red in colour.

Dean

Archived