Cycling Process...

noyd

I've currently setup a 5x20x20 running a 1200lph cannister. It's been running for about 10 days, I'm going about cycling it with a single fish, and I have used some of that Cycle stuff.

...When should I do the first water change?

...How much % should the water change be?

I beleive it has pretty much cycled, as I'm getting a very low ammonia reading of about 0.25ppm, maybe even lower, feeding the fish blood worms, brine shrimp and pellets. (Do concider my next fish will be eating mainly flakes, T.Duboisi).

Last time I checked about 4 days ago Nitrite was reading of about 1 and a nitrate reading of 0,5 (Not certain on these results, need a better quality test kit).

Would it be safe to start adding fish this weekend at small ammounts of about 5 small fry including a water change before the process?

I will be adding a total of about 12 fish over a week.

Cheers for any help. wink.gif

well your tank isnt really fully cycled yet the whole process takes 6 weeks unless offcourse you have an aged filter or aged water in which case you can almost add fish straight away, i have never done a water change for the 1st 6 weeks and gradually add fish like a couple a week , i also use amtrite down which is favoured here in Vic for setting up a tank.

cheers

Sarah

Cycling isn't complete until your ammonia and nitrite both read zero and you have a nitrate reading. If there is nitrite present in the water some nitrate test kits will give an inaccurate reading (ie actual nitrates are as high as the test kit shows).

Seeing as you plan on adding T. duboisi, I assume your pH is above 8, bear in mind that the toxicity of ammonia increases at higher pH levels (someone correct me if I'm wrong blush.gif ) so IMO you would be better off waiting a few more days/weeks to make sure there is no ammonia. It would be a shame to see those beaut little fish go belly up.

Patience and you will be rewarded.

wink.gif Mike

PS. Can you get some water or filter media from an established tank to seed yours?

Starting from scratch as you are I wouldn't even think of adding fish until after at least 4 weeks. I would also use a couple of goldfish or some mystery snails say to really get the cycle going.

If you are going to cycle a tank with fish, then frankly using one fish in a 5 ft tank is a little bit silly. I have not doubt the tank is cycled, but only cycled to support a population of one fish. The amount of ammonia (and hence the volume of nitrosoccous and nitrospira bacteria that will consequently be generated to process the ammonia) from one fish is insignificant in a 5 ft tank. If you now add a bunch more fish you will be in big trouble. As other posters have noted, you would be better to either add a seasoned filter to the tank or else to do a fishless cycle. With these methods, you will end up with a tank capable of supporting a tankload of fish. Look here for a detailed description of how to do a fishless cycle

CIchlids

Cheers everyone for the info.

By the way, I increased the 1200lph to 1650lph by adding a new internal.

I will try and get some cycled water from a friend.

I bought some ammonia called 'Cloudy Ammonia' from coles, how I am supposed to use this stuff (As in how much to add etc)?

Some details about the item, it contains 50g/L AMMONIA (AS NHOH)

Cheers wink.gif

Hi Noyd,

I do agree with the others that your tank is not fully cycled yet. If you want to go for fishless cycle, be sure that you get the right brand of ammonia (the one which

contains ammonia ONLY).

I read somewhere saying that the colour should be clear, and not much foam if you shaked the bottle. However, until now, I haven't found any products in the supermarkets (in NSW) who sell that type of ammonia.

If anyone who know where to find the ammonia for fishless cycling (in Sydney area), would you mind letting us know.

Good luck with the fishless cycling Noyd.

Regards,

Tony

Sorry, don't agree. I've tried this in the past and found it makes bugger all difference The last tank I cycled I used this as part of the process and it still took 4 weeks. The stuff you buy at the LFS in my experience does not work (probably because the latest research shows that the bacteria responsible is in fact nitrosoccus and nitrospira, not as long believed nitrosomas and nitrobacter, the stuff in the LFS bottles).

(Please read this before the abuse starts flying....... laugh.gif ) Biospira research

i agee, cycling still took 4 weeks for me as well. Waste of money. Even just a handful of gravel from an established tank would have been more effective. I would either add ammonia and do a fishless cycle, or take the longer road and add fish very gradually whilst keeping an eye on the ammonia/nitrite levels. If you can add some mature media you will be able to increase the fish/waste load much quicker. I think your filtration is adequate but if you stock the tank heavily the maintenance will be rather high, paticularly in regard to the smaller internal.

G

Okay I'm going about adding fish slowly and also adding aged water from a friends tank (Possibly around 20 litres all up). I've tested everything, and got good readings on ammonia nitrite/nitrate. Won't do water change until next weekend.

Thanks for all your input.

Archived