tank clarity

catcher

G'day all,

For some reason my 6x2x2 has lost it's water clarity lately. I'm doing 1/3 tank water changes every two weeks as I've always done, and usually the water clarity is tip top. It's not dirty by any means but that "looking like they are floating in air" clarity just isn't there as it used to be. Filtration hasn't changed other than using sponges as a pre-filter now instead of disposable poly wool. Any suggestions? I'd like to sort it without using chemicals, but if that's all there is then so be it.

What about a bag of carbon in the sump for a short period then get it out, the particles are so small you really can't see them other than they take the edge off the water quality.

All help welcome! cool.gif

cheers

glenn

Seachem Purigen polishes water and is infintly reusable after bleaching to recharge it but it aint cheap

Neil

put some cycle or nitrovec in the tank. IT kick starts the production of good bacteria. IT'll turn the water clear. If you're talking about yellow water as opposed to cloudy - do a series of small water changes over a period of 2 wks 5-10 percent each day for 2 weeks.

A couple things to consider,

Maybe cleaning the glass will make the water look clearer. wink.gif

Also how big are the fish? If you have big fish and you have started feeding them flakes then that could cause the suspended particals.

If you have milky water then you probably have a bacteria problem. Have you just cleaned your filter or had a blackout?

If none of these are relevant then just throw a bag of purigen into your filter. That'll fix it up. thumb.gif

G'day all,

Calvus or anyone,

Maybe you can explain something to me? Why is flake messy and likely to cause clarity problems with big fish as opposed to when they are small? I've always feed the fish a combination of flake and Orca pellets, but a number of my fish are getting big. I would have thought the bigger they get the less likely they are to leave anything behind. I have read this comment before in the forums but never really understood why. When fish do get big what should be the staple then if flake is not a good alternative?

cheers

glenn

The smaller flake particles will just pass out their gills. It is best to feed larger fish some kind of pellet but flakes are still good to give them some variety. thumb.gif

Therefore if the small particles of food are not being eaten then they will just go into your filter and if you are not using fine filter wool will just get pumped back into your tank. Make sense?

The staple diet I like to feed my big fish is "HBH Cichlid Attack". They seem to enjoy it.

little fish that are growing eats heaps and heaps and therefore there will be less residual food. They also eat smaller bit of flake whereas larger fish wont eat small pieces.

I find that flake is ok to feed fish, as long as you dont over freed. All the excess flake just sits on the tank floor and rots. This turns the water cloudy. Pellets do not do this, although they get soggy, they are not as pourous and will eventually get eaten it takes longer for them to break down in the water than flake. I feed my fish spirulina flake and although this is much much much more messy than feeding them pellets, the little BN that i have in my tank generally take care of the little bit sof flake that dont get eaten by the bigger fish. also have some 3-4 cm fry tat eat the smaller pieces of flake.

if you feed your fish flake it is a good pratcise IMO to go a gravel clean at least once a week.

When i started out with community fish htey all used to die because id over feed them flake. Once i moved on to micro pellets which on the packet says 'will not cloud the water', i didnt lose any fish.

G'day Mbuna,

You wouldn't believe how I've played with the sump setup, I've in fact added filtration grunt to it, without much result. Oh well I'll just keep experimenting.

glenn

given that you say you replaced some filter wool with sponge i'd say there's a connection with loss of clarity. Filter wool is great for trapping finer particles. Try re-arranging your media, making sure there is something to filter very fine particles such as wool. Carbon also helps. I have always had my canisters arranged thus: foam sponge> carbon (or less porous foam)> filter wool > bio media.

Failing that you might want to try what others suggested such as cutting back on flake. I agree with reddevilman too, it's the only time i'd consider spending money on geoliquid.

I assume your tap water hasn't changed. I don't do water changes here after rain cause of the increase in sediment. One day i might get lucky and the tight butts in council will build us a water treatment plant. laugh.gif

Glenn

Archived